• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android vs webos

cairns84

Mar 17, 2011
currently i sport the desire thankfully now rooted and custom rom, dont know why i didnt do it sooner lol.

upgrade is coming my way soon but im wondering what to go for, liking the htc sensation but alos looking the the hp pre 3, would have to buy outright but hey. like the keyboard idea and one of my mates is a huge webos fan and keeps trying to convince me to get one.

was wondering if anyone has used and can do a good compare. mainly apps and widgets are my big standing point.

My big concern would be that it's a single vendor platform that doesn't seem to be making much headway in market share. So app development is going to be limited by comparison, and if HP decide the smartphone game isn't a priority then it could easily just fade away quite quickly.

I say this with some regret, as Palm did a lot to start the PDA and smartphone industry (I still see the 1990s Palm UI whenever I look at an iPhone ;)), and I used their products for more than a decade. But they also provided a textbook case of how to blow a leading position comprehensively, with a series of spectacularly dumb decisions and indecisions, ending in a fire sale to HP last year. WebOS may have some nice features, but I think it's too little, too late in a crowded market.

Upvote 0
Yeah physical keyboards can be nice but trust me (us) WebOS it no way better than Android. I could never have anything else now, Android is so much more advanced. Do not get WebOS... Also it should not be him trying to convert you to WebOS... You should be trying to convert him to Android ;)

Upvote 0
Different isn't always bad. I came to Android from WebOS and while I may never look back I loved it while it lasted. The feel of the multitasking alone is leaps and bounds ahead of the big 3, and once you've grown accustomed to gestures it makes navigating around your phone easier than walking around your house.

The biggest pitfall is the app catalog. It's *tiny*. If it makes anybody feel better though, last time I checked it was still bigger than Blackberry's. ;) I originally thought that a platform built on a single phone had no hope of a future, but then it dawned on me... there are enough people out there to keep Apple afloat, why not HP?

I think every phone has its place. Palm is easy to use, pretty darn fast for the hardware (you can play Angry Birds on the Pre Plus with no lag, for example... try playing it on the Eris, it's enough to make one kick puppies), and has enough support at the moment to make it feasible for those who want them. As I mentioned in the beginning, I don't see myself leaving Android anytime in the near future, but I love to tinker and I love having as much control over my digital environment that is possible. However, I don't believe in this whole you have to hate everybody who is from another platform thang, and you should stop by your local shop and play with a Pre before you make your final decision. It's a to each their own world, after all.

Upvote 0
webos has some great ideas.. multi-tasking with cards, swipe process.
it also has some bad memory issues.

but as how the market and compitition is moving... webos is moving way to slow. blackberry maybe in the same situation soon.

no-one (including a big part of the webos market) trust it to develop fast enough to catch up. the market is currently less than 10%. with android and ios and even wp7... i dont see many developers trying to work with webos.

2 yrs ago.. with the right decisions and development and backing and promotions... webos could be fighting android for top seat. now.... it is fighting just to stay in the game.

Upvote 0
I don't know that WebOS is moving too slow. They strike me as someone getting all their ducks in a row before they re-launch. HP is going to be rolling out a lot of phones running WebOS in the very near future and they've said that come 2012, all their computers will run it as well. It has the potential to be really, really huge with the proper developer support.

Upvote 0
when was it .. that HP did their big show with the new webos and phones?
when is the new phones scheduled to come out to the public?
what are the specs of these announced new phones? are they still considered top specs?
of the marketshare that was on webos .. and dreaming of getting the next versions of hardware and software.. how many are still waiting?

yeah.. to slow.. for high tech! they are falling farther and farther behind.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones