• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android without google account

I totally agree with someone's right not to want a google account. I also agree with a company's decision to require an account in order to use software and services they provide.

I just think there are much more important things to be concerned about. If you ever become that important, people will spend much more time and effort than google ever will to pry into your business.

The great thing is that there are other choices besides google software to run phones. I just don't know any that lets you use their software without registering.

You probably could hire someone to write software for you, or you could learn how to do it yourself. If the money and or all the time is worth it to you, that's an option. Or you can register your dog.

Upvote 0
I'm not that important. I think Google has better things to do with their time than delve into my personal life or my emails. My SMS, on the other hand, can sometimes be an interesting read ;)

Anyway, in the whole scheme of things, any email service you sign up for, anything you use email for, anytime you order something online...Some company, somewhere is collecting that info in a database that can be breached.

Unless she lives off-grid, without cable, without electricity, without other utilities, she's in a database somewhere...and her info is probably less secure in those databases than in Google's...as Google expects to be hacked. The typical electric company probably doesn't think about that, and is less prepared for a hacking incident.

So unless the OP's gf has state or government secrets, she's not any more important to Google than anyone else posting on this forum and should relax. And unless she has NO friends or only has friends who all scorn twitter, facebook, myspace, linked in, then her privacy has been breached by them in some fashion.

Being paranoid about privacy in this day and age doesn't make one smart. It just makes one paranoid and self-important.

The only thing to do is to guard the privacy you can control...Don't share passwords or pins with ANYONE. Don't sign up for "free" stuff on websites. Shred mail or receipts that has your signature or account info. That will do more to protect your privacy from do-badders than worrying about your being the ONE person amongst the MILLIONS of Google Users that Google decides to focus on and whose privacy they choose to invade.

Reactions: brinky and lennyjew
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the answers. In fact my concern is not about privacy. I know that nowadays you can't hide even in outer space. It's not about that. It's about being taken away the choice:
- why can't (couldn't) I remove IE from my PC ?
- why can't I use the marketplace with a yahoo mail?
- why can't I remove layar (and all the other stock apps that came with my phone) from my phone ? I don't need them, I won't use them. I cannot even remove at least their icons from my apps list.

I am bothered by anyone/anything trying to impose on myself even the slightest bit. That's my real rant. It's not about red socks, it's about CHOICE. It seems that the more free the world we live in, the less choice we have.

Reactions: dylo22
Upvote 0
You have a choice. Don't buy items that don't offer you the flexibility you want. Simple.

If you don't like the strings that come with purchasing an Android phone, don't buy an Android.

If you only like blondes, don't make dates with brunettes.

Keep in mind the companies who manufacture phones have choices, too. If Google owns Android why should they make a phone that's compatible for their competitors?

Reactions: brinky
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the answers. In fact my concern is not about privacy. I know that nowadays you can't hide even in outer space. It's not about that. It's about being taken away the choice:
- why can't I remove layar (and all the other stock apps that came with my phone) from my phone ? I don't need them, I won't use them. I cannot even remove at least their icons from my apps list.

I am bothered by anyone/anything trying to impose on myself even the slightest bit. That's my real rant. It's not about red socks, it's about CHOICE. It seems that the more free the world we live in, the less choice we have.

I completely agree with the core of your issue. I don't want to be forced down a path either. If I own something, I should be allowed to do with it what I want and how I want it. Any limitations are constant reminders of our lack of freedom artificially imposed by a suit somewhere. That bugs the hell out of me.

However, the fact of the matter is while some are avoidable other limitations simply aren't. You CAN use an Android phone without a Google account but it will be a very limited experience. Same with an Apple device without iTunes. Unfortunately there are a few things imposed on us which don't make sense to be circumvented or can't be altogether and we've got to deal with it as best we can.

Reactions: dylo22
Upvote 0
You can get rid of them if you root. Rooting/jailbreaking/hacking, whatever you want to call it, is the only way to get rid of most of the stock apps. Some are so interlaced with other functions that when you remove them they break other apps. I think every smart phone out there has stock apps that you can't remove (unless rooted).

If you just want to hide them use something like Launcher Pro to hide them in your app drawer.

I don't get why you're ok with yahoo, but don't want to sign up for g-mail. I want to log into Xbox live with my PS3 account. Sounds crazy doesn't it? But that's about what you're asking wanting to sign in through a competing service. I mean come on, listen to what you're asking here.

Upvote 0
I sure hope she's this fanatical about (not) using a Facebook account.

If you're concerned about Chinese hackers, ID theft, nefarious big corporate data mining schemes, or bridge trolls eating children in the cloud, don't get a smartphone with a data connection. Don't sign up for any online services.

If you have ever signed up for any net service, you have left a digital fingerprint.

For all you know, Google is like the Mormon church silently gathering family tree data for hundreds of years. They probably have all the data you left on your old AOL account.

Upvote 0

Others have already answered the questions you raise multiple times... but here's an example that might help.

You wanted to post on this forum. You had to register to do that.

Google wants you to do the same thing to use things like the Market.

And really, I'm not aware of any major download site that doesn't require you to register first. This is pretty much the same thing.

Upvote 0
I think I may be missing the point - can someone help?

I dont have an issue using a Google account - after all you can use an existing (non-google) email address to do this.

BUT - it seems that for some purposes - like latitude and maps? Android INSISTS that it must be a google account that has gmail - so that has to be an @gmail.com based one.

(In addition I'm a little confused about the whole 'sync' element of the google account as well, but I'll worry about that later)

Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Upvote 0
I'm going to use any ammo I want in my .357.
So what if S&W specified that the weapon will only work properly when I use .357 mag loads?
I wanna use .22 LR.

It is a specious argument that has been well countered.
If you want a .22 buy one. You bought a Google based phone.

I must have missed the small print - I don't remember it saying anywhere on the phone contract that features would be limited without a gmail account. I could understand a google account being required - but gmail? I can only assume it's to boost googles subscriber base. Fair enough - it's their OS, just seems a bit blatant. At least apple allow you to use your own email address.

I do like the look of the nexus s, but this is making me think I'll stick with my iOS at the moment.

Again, I may well have missed the point here, and if I have I apologise.

Upvote 0
I must have missed the small print - I don't remember it saying anywhere on the phone contract that features would be limited without a gmail account. I could understand a google account being required - but gmail? I can only assume it's to boost googles subscriber base. Fair enough - it's their OS, just seems a bit blatant. At least apple allow you to use your own email address.

I do like the look of the nexus s, but this is making me think I'll stick with my iOS at the moment.

If you buy a windows phone or computer you have to authenticate the OS install with Microsoft. And they collect data based on the scan performed.
Every OS dev will explicitly tie the product to their OS & products.

You can use a droid without Google just as you can use Windows without having a real install - but it's a kludge.
Don't buy an expensive phone based on looks, but rather because you like the functions it provides. And that means using it as intended.

Upvote 0

I would not want to sound rude, but if you did not check what Android phone requires before buying one you might have done a stupid thing. Make sure that you always research a phone before buying it.

Upvote 0
I would not want to sound rude, but if you did not check what Android phone requires before buying one you might have done a stupid thing. Make sure that you always research a phone before buying it.

I havent bought an android phone - I'm trying to sort this for someone else. I have a 3GS iPhone - which is fine for me even if it is a bit dated.

The issue isnt one of ownership in terms of Google/Android - its logic - I think!

What is the logical requirement for some apps (Marketplace and latitude?) needing a gmail Google account as opposed to a non gmail Google Account?

Fair enough if it requires it - but how does this benefit Google? Is it they purely want to boost their gmail users as opposed to purely Google account users?

Upvote 0
I havent bought an android phone - I'm trying to sort this for someone else. I have a 3GS iPhone - which is fine for me even if it is a bit dated.

The issue isnt one of ownership in terms of Google/Android - its logic - I think!

What is the logical requirement for some apps (Marketplace and latitude?) needing a gmail Google account as opposed to a non gmail Google Account?

Fair enough if it requires it - but how does this benefit Google? Is it they purely want to boost their gmail users as opposed to purely Google account users?

The logic is this...

Google owns Android. They want the two items to have a symbiotic relationship.

I'm sure if Google owned hotmail, or aol, or Yahoo, they would have made the Android compatible with any of those.

Of all the email services I have used, Google by far has the best spam filter and the best web-mail application (I love nested emails). When my hotmail and gmail accounts were hacked, Google's restore service took less than 5 hours while I had to spend 3-4 days to get Microsoft to give me back my account.

So if I'm already using Google's many services, it never bothered me to sign up for Android, which actually made my life easier.

Instead of being indignant that Google is requiring you to sign up for a Google account, you should be indignant that Yahoo or AIM haven't purchased their own phone platform, imho...

Seriously, why are people so hung up with signing up for a google account to get Android? If you hate Google or have philosophical reservations about Google, DON'T get an Android. If you want an Android, stop hating on or asking why Google makes a google account a requirement to own an Android.

Google owns Android. They want Android users to register for a google account to fully utilize all of Android's benefits. That's within Google's rights. It's their phone. If you don't like the "cost", don't buy!

Have you ever tried Gmail? It's great! Have you tried Google Voice? It's great! (Calendar, not so great, but, hey, you can't win them all!)

Upvote 0
The logic is this...

Google owns Android. They want the two items to have a symbiotic relationship.

I'm sure if Google owned hotmail, or aol, or Yahoo, they would have made the Android compatible with any of those.

Of all the email services I have used, Google by far has the best spam filter and the best web-mail application (I love nested emails). When my hotmail and gmail accounts were hacked, Google's restore service took less than 5 hours while I had to spend 3-4 days to get Microsoft to give me back my account.

So if I'm already using Google's many services, it never bothered me to sign up for Android, which actually made my life easier.

Instead of being indignant that Google is requiring you to sign up for a Google account, you should be indignant that Yahoo or AIM haven't purchased their own phone platform, imho...

Seriously, why are people so hung up with signing up for a google account to get Android? If you hate Google or have philosophical reservations about Google, DON'T get an Android. If you want an Android, stop hating on or asking why Google makes a google account a requirement to own an Android.

Google owns Android. They want Android users to register for a google account to fully utilize all of Android's benefits. That's within Google's rights. It's their phone. If you don't like the "cost", don't buy!

Have you ever tried Gmail? It's great! Have you tried Google Voice? It's great! (Calendar, not so great, but, hey, you can't win them all!)

I havent said I think its a problem that I need a Google account for a Google phone. I cant see how you could use Google services without a Google account.

I like Google, I like Android, I like Google Accounts. I want them all!

I dont understand the requirement for a Google gmail account. Presumably its purely to boost the gmail subscribers - or is there another reason?

Also: I have tried gmail, I like it but prefer my domain based email address - as far as I can see, assigning another email address when I already have one confuses matters?

Seems daft, but I guess the way to make sure I'm not missing relevant android based emails going to this gmail account I dont need for anything else whatsoever is to set all emails to auto forward to my email account?

Upvote 0
As for the G-Mail paranoia, there's a site called spokeo where you type a name it and it'll give out more info than you would think. I found myself in there and it had my address, info about my house, e-mail and social network accounts, pictures tied to those account, etc.

It is funny, because I can go to that site and type in my name and it doesn't have any info on me. There are some people with the same name as me, but none of the data is even close to my info so I assume these are either different people, or the data mining efforts are bad. I don't think I'm overly paranoid, but I limit the information I give out needlessly. I'm sure anyone with some time could track me down and find out all sorts of things about me...but I try to at least ensure that it requires a bit of effort. Even the credit agencies seem to have bad info on me...I had to check my credit score sometime back and it came back with a very high score...but almost all the information they were basing it on didn't seem accurate, they said I had more credit cards than I have ever had, had a really crazy amount of credit available to me, etc... I figure no point in me correcting them though. :)

Upvote 0

There probably isn't a logical requirment....it could have been done differently if Google chose to. Just like there's no logicial requirement to have to use iTunes for iPhone users...but Apple chose to do it that way.

Upvote 0
@randyqx

Thanks for the link to the Missing Sync program. I will try it out and see if it is better than what I have. I have had my first Android phone for a couple of weeks now and have been using MyPhoneExplorer so far to avoid using GMail and the cloud thingy.

@BurnCK

There is a very logical reason why Google is trying to force GMail down the throat of every Android user. The answer is money and lots of it. By forcing you to create a Gmail account, Google is hoping that you may want to use it so they can data mine it and earn higher ad revenues from more targeted ads. Good for Google, good for advertisers, but you don't get anything out of it.

You might say that with GMail you get an email account that you can reach almost wherever you are, but 'WebMail' is supported by most ISP email servers and will let you do the same, so, personally, I don't see that they offer me anything of value. And, thanks to the versatility of Android with WiFi/3G I can be even more connected to my mail server without needing GMail.

I have a business background and in all my dealings with customers, distributors, agents, suppliers etc. I have always focused on reciprocity, because creating a win-win situation is simply good business. If you have reciprocity at one end of the scale, then you have scams at the other end - one party runs with all the value. The offer Google has served me with GMail is almost one-sided to their profit, so I don't see why I should provide them a lot of value to make them rich without getting anything in return.

Don't be mistaken. Google is not doing anything for you as charity; it is hardcore business. There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Upvote 0
It is nice to see so many of you rolling over at the google alter. You must all have received your phones and service for free.

I actually paid for the phone and pay monthly for the phone service. Seeing as I am the one paying I should be able to use my phone as I darn well please. Shelling out hard earned dollars and being forced to use google is complete bs.

How many of you have sold a car yet still get to tell the new owner where to drive it??? this is exactly what google is doing to you, I used my droid2 for exactly 2 days before I figured out that it is completely useless without google. This is nothing to do with paranoia and everything to do being told how to use the items you have spent your money on.

My phone is already turned off and the data plan is canceled, I vote with my money so no problems there.

This malarky about "oh google owns the program so they get to tell you how to use it" is a joke, they are forcing you to use it their way so they can make more money off your information. Just like facebook, good to see a few guys becoming billionaires because people are supplying so much free information about their personal lives.

When google (and apple for that matter) start supplying phones and service for free then they can have complete control over content and usability, until then the guy writing the checks gets to choose.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones