Android won't search company names in contact listSupport

Last Updated:

1. woodrowr

woodrowr Member This Topic's Starter

When using the smart search function of the dialer or searching in contacts my Magic only searches numbers and names, not company names. I have hundreds of contacts that are just companies (airlines, couriers, etc. etc.) with no specific contacts at that company. Those contacts are effectively inaccessible on my phone now as the only way to find them is to scroll through the hundreds of blank contacts to find what I am looking for.

When I synchronized contacts with my HTC magic, any contact with a company name, but nothing in the 'Name' field had the word 'unnamed' added to the name field. The only work around I can see is to use Outlook to manually add the company name to each of these contacts and then change the 'File As' field to read the company name.

What a pain.

Has anyone else experienced this or found a better solution?

Advertisement
  2. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

I've always listed all contacts with something in the name category. I only recently started using the "company" category. Most of my phones haven't had it.

You could export to .csv and use excel functions to copy cells and then import the contacts back.

3. bungdung91

bungdung91 Member

warb likes this.
  4. PuigComputer

PuigComputer New Member

5. warb

warb New Member

6. HeavySi

HeavySi New Member

Folks,

I came from the Treo/Palm world and was disappointed that Android didn't have better search. You'd think Google could do better!

I found "Power Search" (free in the Market). It not only searches Company, but Notes too. You can also configure it to search your Mail, Calendar, Notes and more, all at the same time. Works in conjunction with your apps, not a replacement.

This is the functionality I'm used to from Palm. Definitely two thumbs up!