Androidboy help

Last Updated:

1. Wazoo

Wazoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just downloaded AndroidBoy 1.0.7.apk and transferred it to my phone's SD card, and I have astro file manager installed as well. I'm kinda confused as to how I open the application or which files I use to open it. When I go to astro and select the androidboy folder it gives me the option to browse file or open app manager. So how do I go about using this application? I know I still have to download ROMs and load them onto my SD card to play them, but are than any other files associated with the AndroidBoy.apk that I need to download first?
    I also tried downloading an app installer from the marketplace and using that but when I try to open AndroidBoy it says there's a problem parsing the package.

Advertisement
  2. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

Could be a corrupt apk file. Make sure there is no other extension after the apk (some browsers will automatically add a zip extension when saved to your PC. When in Astro, chose app manager and there should be an install option providing the file is not corrupt and the format is correct.

3. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

App Manager from Astro will allow you to install the file. Just select that option when you click the APK in Astro. If it doesn't install then you either A) Need to go into your Settings > Applications and check "Unknown Sources" or B) Have a corrupt file and should re-download it.

4. Wazoo

In Package details of androidboy in astro it says "could not open /sdcard/androidboy/androidboy-1.0.7.apk as apk file". So I'm guessing it's corrupted?

5. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

That would be my first guess. try downloading it again and recopy to your sd card.

6. Wazoo

Hmmm I've tried that 3 times and it hasn't changed a thing. I read somewhere on a different site that it just flat-out doesn't work on the DROID so I'm just gonna not try it anymore, unless somebody on here knows a solution.

7. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

A little off track here.. but what advantages, if any, does AndroidBoy have over GameBoid?

8. Wazoo

It's free

9. tff

tff New Member

I'm trying a similar thing with a sample program I copied from the Droid tutorial. It's the HelloLinearLayout example. (I hope that means something to you.) Anyway, it ran on the emulator. Now I am trying to install it on Droid phone and experiencing no end of failure. I had no idea how to get the app on the phone, but eventually figured out by accident that I can mount my sd card to my laptop and then just copy the apk over. I then found out about the ASTRO file tool, so I d/l'ed it and looked for my HelloLinearLayout.apk file which I had previously copied (along with my AndroidManifest.xml) to a folder in the phone.

I got the same error message you got with this file though I tried several times. I'm using a Verizon Motorola phone with 2.1 . I have a bit of experience programming, but absolutely none with phones.

A few questions if anyone has time. This is all about TEST apps, not apps for distribution - I just want to be able to have something I can experiment with for now.

1. Is there some special way you have to dismount the file system other than just unplugging the usb connector after the apk is copied to the sd card?

2. Is it necessary for me to copy the manifest along with the apk?

3. Is there anything I might have to set in the MOTODEV environment or any special build instructions that is different between running on emulator and installing on the actual phone?

4. Is it absolutely necessary to do a zipalign before I install a test program on the phone?

5. Is it absolutely necessary to sign and version a test app before installing it on the phone?

6. When I type "adb devices" it returns a long number. Is that the serial number?

7. Is there a set of instructions anywhere that is very detailed and very explicit on how to install developer (test) apps?

tx
    tff