• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android's built-in low memory taskkiller

This is a dangerous place to be playing and you could mess up your phone in ways you might not be able to fix if you start mucking around in here.

Thanks for the links but I have a git clone on this machine ;)

How so? As long as one can get to a boot loader one should be able to factory flash back to stock. All these modifications are gone.

I am not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to understand what exactly is going on here. I am not as leet as you guys :(

Upvote 0
How so? As long as one can get to a boot loader one should be able to factory flash back to stock. All these modifications are gone.

I am not trying to be a jerk I am just trying to understand what exactly is going on here. I am not as leet as you guys :(

It's really safe to try. At worst, you just turn your phone off and on. Testing it out doesn't cause settings to persist, meaning it will revert to default when you turn the phone off. No need to flash anything.

Lots of people have tried it and it's now finding its way into ROM's. Someone also posted an app on the XDA thread that lets you test the tweak if you are too lazy to open up a shell.

Best bang for a tweak yet.

Upvote 0
I've tried this. It sped up performance a LOT. It has made me realize the importance of free memory on my sprint htc hero. i'm starting to look in to adding compcache (basically swap) to my rooted fresh 1.1 rom, gumbo kernel, with setcpu running.

There is a program on the market MinFreeManager that will make the memory changes for you that are referenced above. (sorry if that is duplicate knowledge, i didn't read the thread entirely). It even allows you to save it across reboots...much more cozy for those not comfortable with adb.

Upvote 0
l use Advanced Task Killer by Apollo Software, it is easy to use and save a lot of battery.

ya might want to rethink using ATK... using the BUILT IN low memory killer and letting Android kill processes that it knows are idle and no longer needed is much better. killing processes using ATK or similar task killers can actually use more battery since you can kill commonly used processes that then have to restart.. using more power and adding lag time..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones