• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android's built-in VPN won't work for Cisco clients

Hi,

I am using vpnc on my computer to connect ot my university VPN. Once again, the configuration is not straightforward, but, mainly, I use IPSec, I have an ID for the VPN, a gateway URL, a secret word, IKE Authmode of PSK, IKE DH Group, Xauth username, Xauth password, I need to enable Single DES, and I have two `target networks.'

The fact is that Android (2.1)'s built-in VPN does not ask me all these info. It keeps asking for a pre-shared key (this is evidently the contrary of the certificate method), but I do not have such a pre-shared key. Connecting (to the VPN) through my computer works perfectly.

What can I do to make Android compatible with the VPN?

Thanks.

Read this:
Issue 3902 - android - Feature Request: "pure" ipsec vpn client (cisco-compatible) - Project Hosting on Google Code

It is a BIG issue for many people and can hinder Android's adoption into the corporate world.

We don't have Cisco group authentication. Some say you can root your phone and install openVPN. But as of now, Android doesn't have it. It may be a licensing/cost issue.
The only reason why the iPhone/iPad has this because Apple negotiated terms w/ Cisco in 2007 to use it during their trademark dispute.

Unless Google, HTC, Motorola step up and pay for the license, you won't see it.

Upvote 0
Read this:
Issue 3902 - android - Feature Request: "pure" ipsec vpn client (cisco-compatible) - Project Hosting on Google Code
It is a BIG issue for many people and can hinder Android's adoption into the corporate world.
Thanks.

We don't have Cisco group authentication. Some say you can root your phone and install openVPN. But as of now, Android doesn't have it. It may be a licensing/cost issue.
Sure.
The only reason why the iPhone/iPad has this because Apple negotiated terms w/ Cisco in 2007 to use it during their trademark dispute.
Unless Google, HTC, Motorola step up and pay for the license, you won't see it.
I hope they'll do it. But, basically, is there no way to counterpass IKE DH Group by setting it differently, assuming it only belongs to Cisco's properties? Also, is `Single DES' a property of Cisco, or is it a setting that other VPN concentrators (than Cisco) can also use?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones