android's image takes a beating...

Last Updated:

1. mpw

mpw Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

android's image is going to take a beating; this is a review of the NEXT 10" android Tablet that has just gone on sale for

Advertisement
  2. GringoMonkee

GringoMonkee Member

Saw this.

Bit concerned that Android is gonna be pilloried as a down-market iDevice knock-off type affair to the great unwashed.

Guess this is the result of giving the source code away for free...

All i can do is intervene if a family member is looking to waste money on something like this.

3. Martimus

Martimus One bite at a time... Moderator

Well I may be totally off base here but it looks like UK Retailer Next simply went to one of the many Chinese tablet manufacturers and got a shipment of whatever happened to be on the shelf.

Buy Next 10" Tablet from the Next UK online shop

The spec's on this tablet are less than inspiring...

4. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

People that don't research their purchases get what they deserve, regardless of the OS involved.

xzillerationer likes this.
  5. mpw

True, but the same could be said about OSs that don't have quality control; they get the reputation they deserve.

6. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

There are hundreds of crappy Windows computer out there. Most of us are still using Windows :p

Intervenient and MJM128 like this.
  7. ElasticNinja

ElasticNinja Well-Known Member

Capitiiilism

8. Pryomancer

Pryomancer Well-Known Member

I saw this in their catalogue, too. They also have a netbook with Android. Dunno about other people but I wouldn't be seen dead with one. Not only the brand but the specs suck as well.

9. mpw

The brand wouldn't bother mer, neither would the spec for the money... IF it worked!

10. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Several months ago, I found myself looking for products and I found a number of portals for Chinese, Japanese, and Korean made products. These are major portals used by hundreds of manufacturers, offering tens of thousands of products. You would not believe what you can find on these sites.

I was looking for 500Mb (not giga) flash drives and I was amazed at just how inexpensive they are. A few bucks or so in large quantities.

I found sub-hundred dollar laptops, eight dollar MP3 players, Apple whatever knockoffs of every imaginable design. It would not surprise me that what you are suggesting is true.

Perhaps I'll start a company selling iAppleDroidiPodPads with Steve Jobgates name on them. Or announce the Balmer Jobs Brand Golden Delicious PodPads.

Bob

11. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey Well-Known Member

Entering Apple FanBoy Mode:

I really like the iPad. It is the size I crave, it is thin, and in my opinion, nothing else comes close. I still think it is a beautiful package. I still dislike Apple, but I will not bash them. Well, ok, I just bashed them.

The features I demand, the iPad has, and the word processor is something I can live with, even with the soft keyboard.

Exit FanBoy Mode

I love the idea of an android pad to kick Apples arse. As far as I know, there are no android word processors suitable for my needs, but then again I have not looked. I would buy an iPad if there was a USB port (I like flash drives) and if I were sure I could use my USB broadband modem.

Therefore, I might buy one of the upcomming iPad killers that will run Windows. All I need is a WP and I am good to go. I would love to ditch my laptop and then all I would need is my phone and iPad or whatever. I travel light these days.

Bob

12. crewchief227

crewchief227 Well-Known Member

That was like watching a monkey peel a banana he was just banging away on the thing like by doing that it was going to magically know what he wanted to do with it. God use some finesse or maybe that is how dumb down the UI on the iPad is and what he is used to.

13. baillou2

baillou2 Well-Known Member

Speak for yourself.

!Linux! :D

14. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

This is one of the times that Andriod is lucky it has no true brand identification.

15. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

My god.... I think a G1 running un-optimized 2.2 is smoother than that! The splash screen with the android logo was chugging! THE SPLASH SCREEN!

16. GringoMonkee

GringoMonkee Member

:p

17. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Is that the clothes/household store NEXT???

No wonder it's so bad....they should have just stuck to what they do best...making good (although that's an opinion) clothes...

18. ElasticNinja

noooooo Their clothes are TERRIBLE

19. ernestoc33

ernestoc33 Member

It's non google authorized Ipad clone made in China. They are poorly made and lack luster pieces of crap. Its not androids fauly. Fail.

20. RozzaC

RozzaC Well-Known Member

Not all of them...

I like some of their clothes..

I buy my shirts from there..

21. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

You have read my mind. My wife recently picked up an Ipad and we both LOVE the resolution and overall experience with the device... though our experiences pretty much end at her scheduling appointments to her GOOGLE calendar, and me streaming netflix. If we weren't able to get that thing to sync with google, Netflix would be the only thing going for it IMO.

On the other hand, I find myself at times wanting to squat down, jump around, and bang this thing gorilla-slam style on the ground because I can't make it do anything else. It has a complete lack of functionality outside of whatever apps I pickup in the market (not to mention, all those ipad-specific apps have an increased price structure). I can barely manipulate the settings of this device, and there's no way to turn off or truly reset this POS! So when something goes wrong, you gotta uninstall/reinstall it, or attempt some type of backdoor overall clear-settings option to get it to function again! /rant

Anyways, I am dying to see a good 10" Android tablet! A single USB port would be cool, but it would invite a ton of trouble with the implied ability to connect to a printer or wireless mouse etc. Plus the USB port would necessarily increase the thickness of the device, so I think I would rather have the slimmest possible body with an expandable micro or standard SD card slot.

I also hope HTC puts out the big Tablet. I would love to run the new upcoming HTC Sense... as long as HTC runs some quality control! (BTW, I would also like to see, whoever puts out the Android tablet, to make it the exact same dimensions as the iPad so that we could utilize that iPad case market :rolleyes:)

22. ElasticNinja

I dunno
    Some of their clothes are so brittle :rolleyes: