• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android's IPsec Service is increasing in size constantly as soon as I free space on my Galaxy S5

Ajkman

Lurker
Jul 22, 2015
The last couple of months my Samsung Galaxy S5 keept warning me that there is no free space on the phone's memory. I used to have lots of small and big apps and games (all from Google Play) on the phone before but had to uninstall them since I kept getting the notification that there's no free space on the phone. Some 'must - have' app I kept and transferred to the sd card. However I still have the same problem even after deleting cash (which at most takes up 3MB). In the Application Manager menu I noticed that the 'heaviest' app is one called IPsec service. First time I noticed it took up somewhere around 400MB, a month ago, then it gradually increased in size: 1GB, 2GB until currently 3.18 GB (my phone has 16GB internal storage). In developer mode I can see that there appears a service from time to time under the name 'com.ipsec.service'. The problem is also that it cannot be uninstalled since it came with android (the app itself is 350KB but its 'Data' part is massive 3.18 as of today). Now, I do not have any VPN accounts set up bit used to run the Cisco VPN AnyConnect since I need to access files on my university's servers, but hat to uninstall it since this IPsec problem came up.

I'm thinking of doing a factory reset to see if it solves the problem. If you have any suggestions or solutions to this problem, I'd appreciate it very much. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-07-22-15-55-05.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-22-15-55-05.png
    225.8 KB · Views: 1,461
  • Screenshot_2015-07-22-15-57-30.png
    Screenshot_2015-07-22-15-57-30.png
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,078
Guessing - settings, Security, Device Administrators - see if an earlier VPN is still selected.

If so, and the VPN app is gone, it didn't uninstall correctly. Reinstall, deselect admin, then uninstall. Try to clear ipsec data after that.

Otherwise, unless someone knows better - it's factory data reset time.

Upvote 0
Guessing - settings, Security, Device Administrators - see if an earlier VPN is still selected.

If so, and the VPN app is gone, it didn't uninstall correctly. Reinstall, deselect admin, then uninstall. Try to clear ipsec data after that.

I tried all the suggestions by EarlyMon but without success. I had my campus email account with extra admin rights so I deleted that first but didn't change anything. Also freed some space to reinstall the previous vpn I had from cisco and then uninstalled it again - didn't help. Yesterday the data part of the IPsec Service reached 4GB so i just had to factory reset the phone (after backuping and syncing all the data - I strongly suggest you do the same, before you reset the phone :)
So far, everything seems ok with IPsec and I've got enough place for my apps.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

I tried all the suggestions by EarlyMon but without success. I had my campus email account with extra admin rights so I deleted that first but didn't change anything. Also freed some space to reinstall the previous vpn I had from cisco and then uninstalled it again - didn't help. Yesterday the data part of the IPsec Service reached 4GB so i just had to factory reset the phone (after backuping and syncing all the data - I strongly suggest you do the same, before you reset the phone :)
So far, everything seems ok with IPsec and I've got enough place for my apps.

Upvote 0
I have this same issue. I'd like to check a few things with you :

1) What carrier are you using? I've only heard of this happening with EE in UK.

2) Do/did you have EE WiFi calling enabled? I think this is the cause, but I'm not certain. I never noticed the issue before WiFi calling.

I think the only solution is a factory reset and disable WiFi calling, assuming my analysis is correct. The same issue occurs on the EE S6, by the way.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones