Androot problem (keeps failing)

Last Updated:

1. akkkmed

akkkmed Guest This Topic's Starter

I am running 2.2 using the leaked file. I'm having problems rooting via Universal Androot. As a side note, I haven't rooted my X before. So before now, everything was stock.

Universal Androot downloaded and installed fine. I clicked "root". It goes through the steps and give me the "Failed! No~~~Fu goo~~~" error.

I have tried: different versions of the program, different SD card, uninstalling everything related to rooting, downloading Superuser, late deleting Superuser, and I even wiped my device because I was having other problems, like major lag and whatnot.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Thanks!
    :)

Advertisement
  2. Retrokid223

Retrokid223 Well-Known Member

you had to root on 2.1 and then install 2.2 go HERE for a tut :)

3. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

if you dont want to flash back to 2.1 (although, might as well learn how to now if you want the OTA when it drops) you should just wait a couple days. the D2 has been rooted. i am sure the dx is soon to follow.

4. akkkmed

Thanks guys. I realize that I had to do it on 2.1. Dammmnnn.
    I see that Easy Root works on 2.2, but of course I don't have a credit card and my parents are asleep. :( :(

5. billster2006

billster2006 Well-Known Member

for some reason i lost my root when i did the leak update kinda frustrated

6. billster2006

billster2006 Well-Known Member

can someone pm the link to a downgrade zip file i cant find it

7. akkkmed

I'm so confused. Does Easy Root work for the X running 2.2 or not?
    Here is where it says it isn't: Easy Root Purchase Page

Since I'm running 2.2, what is the EASIEST way to get rooted? I'm officially lost and feel pretty dumb right about now.
    Thank you!!!

8. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

9. akkkmed

Thanks, I tried that earlier today. Since I'm on a Mac, I tried it on my netbook (Windows 7). I just don't get what to do. I tried the ADB, and I just get lost. Nothing works in the command prompt and I don't think I got ADB setup right.

:(

10. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

did you download and install the newest driver pack from Motorola and do you have "debugging" turned on. Drivers and debugging are the two reasons your droid x will not show up in adb shell

11. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

sounds like you need to get adb set up then, I do all my adb stuff on a windows 7 netbook too so I know it works. Plug your phone into the computer with debugging turned off and put it in media snyc mode. Then wait for the drivers to install then turn on debugging mode and wait again

12. akkkmed

Yes. As far as I can tell, that's the ONLY thing I did right.
    The reason this is dumb is because I'm very technically smart and I'm majoring in computer science. Good thing school starts next week...

Anyways, I downloaded the files required in the XDA thread. But not sure what to do exactly. I tried opening the "SDK" application, but it just wanted to update and said it couldn't. I also tried using command prompt to do what it said, but everything said the location wasn't right.

13. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

you don't need to install the sdk, the only thing you need to do is take the tools folder from it and put it on your desktop, then open up a cmd and do "cd location" where location is the copy of the address of your tools folder
    So for me I do
    "cd C:\Users\Jeff\Desktop\tools"
    then if you do
    "adb devices"
    and a serial number shows up your a good to go

14. akkkmed

Well that's one thing I've done wrong. I'll give that a go right now! Thanks!
    And don't worry, I'll report back :D

15. akkkmed

Well I'm farther than before.
    At this step: "adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk", CMD tells me "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file.
    What did I do wrong? I made sure to type everything correctly.

16. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

did you do "adb devices"
    and if it is pointed at your tools folder then it should work, is there a # at the beginning of the lines

17. akkkmed

Yes, adb devices shows the serial number.
    I moved the folders to the C: drive, and tried the same thing. Same error occurred...

18. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

well adb is set up, I am going to take a look at the droid 2 directions and see what is going on.

19. akkkmed

Thanks a lot.
    "cd c:/Droid2Root" is my last successful step. Then I get the internal/external command error. And I just tried, and everything gives me that error after this point. Meaning anything I type in now, it gives me the internal/external error.

20. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

okay, put the tools folder on your desktop I understand what they are saying but I find this way to be easier. And then put all the files for the root superuser.apk,busybox,su, etc into your tools folder. Then do
    "cd location"
    then start running through the commands

Just have the tools folder on the desktop, adb.exe should be in there

21. akkkmed

How do I know when this step has finished?
    "let the process run until it returns you to c:/Droid2Root (be patient, but may need to reboot the phone)"

Not sure what it means when it says it will "kick me out".

22. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

you will go back to your original directory
    like there should be a blank space after you run the command and then when its done you will be able to enter more commands, or like the directions said you may just have to reboot then continue on with the other commands

23. akkkmed

Hmmm. I tried continuing on, but it said it was denied and stuff. This may have been a bad idea, but I closed out and tried again. I'm currently at the same step.

In CMD, it says:
    [*] adb connectionwill be reset. restart adb server on desktop and relogin
    $

What am I really supposed to do?

24. akkkmed

Nevermind.. The phone reconnected and it's at the original directory like you said. Thanks..

25. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

do that then I guess you are at this step