• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Angry at Samsung about my Note 7

johnpjackson

Android Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2013
Western Massachusetts
You know what? I am SO MUCH MORE angry at Samsung for walking away from the Note 7 than I am about the technical fault that precipitated it. In fact, I'm not angry about the battery problem AT ALL. Samsung engineers did an amazing job creating an extremely well featured and constructed device in the Note 7, aside from whatever the specific mistake is that causes the battery problem. There MUST be a cause for the problem, and it can certainly be remedied.

There isn't another device out there, at all, that is the Note 7's equal or superior. Just as they apparently made a hugely stupid management blunder in rushing the recall and remedy after the initial failures, they are making the same stupid management blunder again, in abandoning the product completely.

I don't want a $100 credit. I don't want an S7 Edge. I want the large display, and I want the stylus, plus everything else the Note 7 has. I want Samsung to fix the problem as soon as it can and tell me I'll be able to return to the device as soon as they do. Or I want them to tell me when to expect I can return to a new model that doesn't leave anything out the Note 7 had.

What I don't want is Samsung just saying sorry, please accept something else, and then leave us hanging on what, if anything, we can expect at some unspecified point in the future.

Last but not least, I'm sitting here looking at my perfectly functioning Note 7, gorgeous piece of engineering that it is, trying not to let my blood boil when I consider that I'm being forced to turn it over to be thrown in a shredder, and I'm not going to have the opportunity to replace it with anything equal for who knows when. That really ticks me off. I want to hear the complete details from Samsung on why they are so sure that every Note 7 produced has a serious enough potential to fail this way that they are flushing BILLIONS of dollars in hard cash down the drain over it. I want the opportunity, myself, to know and feel what exactly the threat is caused by, to feel motivated to give my Note 7 up.

I agree, how do we know this would not happen with a s8 or n8 again? What a shame and waste of time.

It's never happened before! I don't think it will happen again! They made a mistake and will learn from it! I am loyal to them! They have never let me down before and I'm not going to jump ship and buy lesser phones from now on on a "what if"

Upvote 0
It's never happened before! I don't think it will happen again! They made a mistake and will learn from it! I am loyal to them! They have never let me down before and I'm not going to jump ship and buy lesser phones from now on on a "what if"

Oh yes it has happened before, to Nokia in 2007. :thumbsdowndroid:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/2007/08/15/nokia-recalls-46-million-cell-phone-batteries.html

Nokia (NOK) warned consumers that 46 million batteries used in its mobile phones could overheat and offered to replace them for free while it negotiates with battery maker Matsushita over who would bear the costs.

Main difference was, Nokia batteries were always user removable, and so no phones had to be scrapped at all. Perhaps Samsung, and possibly other manufacturers might learn from this debacle, and go back to removable batteries in smart-phones and tablets.

Samsung better ensure it never happens again, otherwise it will really cost them dearly, like bankruptcy perhaps.

As an epitaph, here's something I posted back on 11th August....

"We can pay the equivalent $800-900 for any top-end flagship Samsungs, and iPhones as well. I don't of course, I buy Chinese flagship devices, like Oppo for about half the price. :D"

Well I did try a top-end expensive flagship Samsung, and was let down.

http://androidforums.com/threads/note-7-china.1058139/#post-7367090

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And worst case, this could mean Samsung's exit from the mobile market altogether.

I don't believe that it will go that far. People still LOVE Samsung phones...especially Galaxy S series. As you stated above and I've stated more than once, they HAVE to figure out what happened here and fix it before releasing another Note, or any model really.

Reactions: Duckster
Upvote 0
I don't believe that it will go that far. People still LOVE Samsung phones...especially Galaxy S series. As you stated above and I've stated more than once, they HAVE to figure out what happened here and fix it before releasing another Note, or any model really.

Well I would like to think that a big company like Samsung had this figured out, but after the re-issued ones failed, well that is extremely bad. They do have other strong products, so maybe they can weather the storm. If a smaller company did this, with less product lines, it would be certain death.

Upvote 0
My Samsung Big Double fully open fridge with the Easy Pull out freezer drawer works just fine :D

I don't see a problem with staying with Samsung, it was just a one-off situation that was brought on managers, not the engineers.... the engineers would have stopped production: fixed it, and put it back when ready....
the managers don't listen: no manager ever listens to the engineers....

not even in the Fire Department where I used to work in the IT 911 department....

Upvote 0
And worst case, this could mean Samsung's exit from the mobile market altogether.
And _that_ is why the Note 7 has been pulled.

They don't know what was wrong, and they don't know how many of the devices are safe and how many are not. It might be that all of the bad devices had already been distributed and any that didn't ignite in the first month are not going to. But that's unlikely. It's more likely that some fraction of the devices they were still making would burn, with an ongoing risk of damage, injury or even death. Even if they were immoral enough to consider that a price worth paying for turning a profit, how much damage would that do to the company, and how long before the authorities ordered the recall anyway? And since they don't know what is wrong, they also don't know whether or not _every_ device is at risk: maybe only the unlucky few go up in the early weeks and most last 4-6 months? They don't know and neither do the owners.

So to the OP, yes, I sympathise. It was a unique device in the current market,and withdrawing it will piss off lot of people. But this was about the long term survival of the business rather than a short term decision - if this carried on it _would_ have been the end of them as a phone maker. No point being angry about the recall, because they did not have a choice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I read somewhere that the assumption is that the battery was being squeezed in a specific spot and that was causing the issue. Meaning any one of them could go at any time, replacement battery or not. It was about the design/construction of the entire phone and where the battery was positioned in relation to other internal components. That's why the burns were not happening where the battery is connected or where the battery monitoring hardware was located, it was the (facing the phone) left upper middle of the battery itself on all the phones that started the combustion.

Edit: found this it's one of the things I remember seeing on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: rootabaga
Upvote 0
After I gave up on Droids, my wife and I have (or have had) Samsung S3, S4, 2 S5's, S6, Note 3, and Note 5. My Google Nexus 10 tab is also made by Samsung. I was just planning on upgrading the Note 5 to a Note 7 when the exploding battery issue erupted (pun intended), so I'm sticking to the N5 for now. I find it hard to believe it is only the battery's fault, though all Li-Ion batteries can explode if sufficiently overcharged. All of my Samsungs would go into trickle mode when approaching 100% and stop charging when the charge is a full 100%, even if left on the charger (trickle will cut in again if the phone sits all night and the charge goes down to 95% or so). Most good phones automatically turn off charging when they are 100%, even if the charger is still plugged in. You will notice that the lightning disappears from the battery. I use s/w that monitors the progress of the charge, shows mAh in and out, and also reports on the phone's operating temperature, and I've never seen significantly high temperatures, even when speed-charging my N5 or S6. There are devices you can plug into the wall (and then plug a wall-wart charger into them) that will cut current to the charger at 100%. If Samsung determines that the only fault is the ability to overcharge the battery, I suspect the phone will be safely usable with the proper precautions and a used one on eBay will undoubtedly be cheap as hell.

DISCLAIMER: All of my mobile devices have been rooted with custom roms and the performance is custom tuned, so I don't know what effect that has on battery charging.

I suppose something in the N7's hardware/firmware fails to turn off charging at 100%, but keeps on overcharging until the battery heats up, swells, and bursts. The real mystery is - if this is supposed to be a result of battery overcharging, why have some of the explosions happened when the phones were not connected to the charger? Had they just been (over)charged prior to their detonation?

There are also PlayStore programs that will do the same thing (I'm currently using DU Battery Saver). So, if overcharging really is the only flaw with the N7, then, with a little care, it can still be a keeper. I do like the fact that they put back the MicroSD slot (though I have several USB2Go adapters that allow me to add a 64GB class 10 card to my S5. One is just the size of a thumbnail. Another allows me to plug in any one of five different smartcards, and one allows both a MicroSD and a USB thumb drive in the same adapter at the same time. It's a minor inconvenience, but does solve the problem. I STILL am pissed that I can't buy an aftermarket battery for it (though I did once put the larger DROID RAZR MAX battery and back into a DROID RAZR even though those are also supposed to be unremovable). Still, I have pocket chargers, a charger that uses 4 AA batteries, and a 3-panel solar charger that folds up to fit in my jeans' back pocket and will charge phones, tablets, and other chargers.

Since I write a lot of codec software for 2160p UHD (remotely to Shanghai, where we first developed it 6 years ago), the Note 5's and 7's UHD resolution display screen is a must-have.

Upvote 0
I did read last night that the casing the battery was in was thinner, thus making the Note 7 smaller and lighter. However, that was one of the contributing factors to the battery issue.

Still debating if I'll continue to use my Note 4 and wait for the next Note version to be released or look at getting the S7 Edge.

Very disappointed that the Note 7 issue couldn't be resolved but understand that Samsung had to do whatever is necessary to keep the business going.

Upvote 0
I did read last night that the casing the battery was in was thinner, thus making the Note 7 smaller and lighter. However, that was one of the contributing factors to the battery issue.

Still debating if I'll continue to use my Note 4 and wait for the next Note version to be released or look at getting the S7 Edge.

Very disappointed that the Note 7 issue couldn't be resolved but understand that Samsung had to do whatever is necessary to keep the business going.

Samsung won't be the same after this type of loss. I expect this type of loss to set them back in R&D, in innovation, and in over-all product development. Their management is going to tighten the reins considerably. I would probably wait out the next 2-3 models of the Note if to see if the company can recover from this type of disaster.

Upvote 0
I wanted this phone bad, if I had one I would keep it. My LG V10 is going out so I had to have a phone, the S7 and Edge are to expensive considering March release date, so I got the iPhone 7 plus and I hate it. Please tell me that this phone will come back. Samsung fix it and re-release don't give up.

Why aren't you looking at the V20 that's due out? Were you not satisfied with the V10?

Upvote 0
Please tell me that this phone will come back. Samsung fix it and re-release don't give up.

I'm sad to be the one to break your heart, but it won't get released a third time. Samsung has killed off the Note 7 permanently. All we can hope for is a Note 8 (or an equivalent if they terminate the entire Note series) next year.

:(

Upvote 0
I owned the LG G2, G3, and V10 in consecutive order. The V10 was awesome, but over time has become very buggy/glitchy. I do not like the changes on the V20, I am used to the volume being on the back, and they removed the feature that made the phone unique. The V10 sold better than the G5, so I am not sure why LG decided to change it, but they did.

Samsung phones are almost a year old now, so the Note being gone leaves a void for Samsung. The 7 series is wasy over priced at this point, so I got the iPhone 7 plus and hate it because I didn't want to switch from Android in the first place, I wish I would have gotten the Note before the recall. I would keep it. Over one million people using the phone now in the US, and many intend to keep it, I would unless I used the Airlines on a frequent basis.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones