Angry Birds Lite For Lower End Handsets.

Last Updated:

1. LBPHeretic

LBPHeretic Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Rovio Mobile Ltd. is releasing a "lighter weight" version of Angry Birds for handsets with older hardware: Rovio Updates Angry Birds Compatibility List, Will Develop a “Lightweight” Version | Android Phone Fans .

The list includes our Sprint HTC Hero. Up until the last update of Angry Birds, I could not even see it in the market. I had to sideload it. The latest version with the advertisements is pretty unbearably slow but the graphics are good compared to the previous version. This "lite" version should be a Godsend. I cannot wait.

Advertisement
    SlothyUK, jake3313 and andygu3 like this.
  2. chuhsi

chuhsi Well-Known Member

thank goodness

3. andygu3

andygu3 Well-Known Member

4. LBPHeretic

I guess it is due to the physics calculations that it has to do. I agree though, it seems like it should not lag that much even on our older hardware.

The Sprint HTC Hero only uses OpenGL ES 1.1 and I think Angry Birds can make use of the optimizations from OpenGL ES 2.0, so maybe that is where the performance hit comes from. I am just guessing though.

5. andygu3

This sort of thing, I'm sure is annoying for developers of games like this. An IPhone is an IPhone, android phones have different levels of hardware for different phones

6. hakujin

hakujin Well-Known Member

looking forward to this as well. it must be those OpenGL enhancements. still a shame that a near 700mhz processor on a phone just barely a year old has problems w/ a game as simply as angry birds. it's not as though we are trying to play gran turismo or something, lol.

7. LBPHeretic

Well, to be fair, the hardware in our handsets, the actual chipset, is over two years old. The fact that it only supports the older OpenGL ES version is testament to that.

Additionally, stock, our CPU is only 528 MHz. However, it can be safely overclocked to between 691 MHz and 786 MHz. Though I have heard that Angry Birds still lagged in its latest version despite the overclocking. The lite version will definitely be a good thing.

8. andygu3

Even using one Deca's Brainfuct kernels, not much of an improvement, lol;)

9. LBPHeretic

Are there any good kernels that you would recommend and what are the advantages to flashing a new kernel anyway? Is it just like flashing a ROM in recovery? :)

I am hijacking my own thread now. I feel better about that. ;)

10. andygu3

Depends on what rom, but I would go with CFS if gps is important to you

Yes, flash in recovery. Nandroid, wipe cache and davlik cache, flash zip, reboot

11. LBPHeretic

What does CFS kernel do for the GPS? My friend is using the stock kernel and says it is still accurate.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. Thanks.

12. andygu3

Now we are getting technical (Deca will have the answers, lol:p), but I know the CFS does not break gps. BFS kernel will

13. hakujin

hakujin Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. But c'mon... angry brids is no graphical achievement... don't even understand the hubbub quite frankly. World of Goo and Braid are more noteworthy achievements IMHO, but I digress.

I think 400mhz should be sufficient for this game. But then I think OpenGL has been two steps behind DirectX for the last 10 years too. /end of random Off-topicness

14. LBPHeretic

I think Angry Birds just needs a lot of code optimization. It runs well enough on most devices but it also eats through the battery fast, and that includes Apple iOS devices.

I loved World of Goo too. That should be on touch based devices. I would snap it up in a second. It is a fantastic game with an outstanding soundtrack.

15. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

Yay for this!

16. MahaloCat

MahaloCat Well-Known Member

FYI - Impaler on XDA posted an angry Birds Version with the ads removed - Runs better.
    Beleive its in his sig line.

17. LBPHeretic

You can also just turn off Mobile Data or switch your handset to Airplane Mode to get rid of the advertisements. I hope the lite version that is coming does a bit more under the hood, so to speak, to optimize the code though.

Thanks for the heads up though. I appreciate it.

phatmamaslim likes this.
  18. LBPHeretic

19. chawski

chawski Well-Known Member

angry birds in general is not showing up on the market for me. running aosp froyo. any ideas?

20. repinphilly247

repinphilly247 Well-Known Member

same here for me (running aosp froyo as well). not showing up in the market... may have to sideload it again (how i originally got angry birds on the hero).

21. LBPHeretic

It is not showing up in the Android Market on my stock, but rooted, Android 2.1 ROM either. This, in a word, stinks.

We finally get a version of Angry Birds that is designed for our hardware and it is not available in the Android Market. I hope it shows up eventually or I am sideloading it too.

22. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

It shows up for me just fine. My problem is that I had to side load it originally, and so it doesn't show in the market for me. I can't update now and I don't want to have to start from scratch since I've unlocked so much in the game. Any ideas on what I can do here? I don't want to lose all my saved data, but I would like to update to the new version.

23. LBPHeretic

Maybe you could use Titanium Backup to save the app and data. Then install the new version and restore the data.

I am not really sure if that is possible. You could try it though.

24. KitsapAndroid

KitsapAndroid Well-Known Member

I thought about that too, but it sure sucks if it doesn't work. I don't think I have the original .apk I used anymore.

25. LBPHeretic

Well, Titanium Backup would save the .apk file for you. I think you can backup individual .apk files using the backup feature in Astro File Manager too. ;)

The old .apk is also probably out there somewhere on the Internet. Just saying it might be. :p