1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

"Angry Birds" now gets interrupted with ads

Last Updated:

1. bill2reg

bill2reg Member This Topic's Starter

When I first installed the "Angry Birds" game, it worked fine. It still works fine, with one issue. A couple of weeks ago, it started having popup ads from Admob in the upper right corner of the screen. They stay several seconds, then disappear, and then reappear a short time after, and the cycle repeats. I wouldn't mind ads, after all the game was free. But it's right in the spot you need to see most to play the game. Is there a way to disable these ads? Or at least move them to the lower left corner?

Advertisement
  2. La Luna

La Luna Well-Known Member

There is no way to move the ad within the game. I believe there is an app on the market that removes ads. Othrwise you'll have to complain to the developer. The ads don't bother me, I find them easy to ignore.

3. bill2reg

Well as I said I don't mind the ads because that's how we get free stuff. But in this particular game, the ad is in a bad location because it's right where you need to see the birds to touch them to activate the various weapons they carry.....right near the top of the arc of the launched birds.

chickusmc05 likes this.
  4. thewhitebird

thewhitebird New Member

I agree, I believe that the ads seem to be connected to the latest update. There are two types of ads, a video ad that is easy to opt-out and because of that, it isn't really a problem for me. Its the ads that come and go in the upper right hand corner... mostly come and sometimes go. It is a problem for me as I try to up my score to 3 stars and I need to see my score to know if I am on my way to a higer score than last time. Since the ad usually covers the score, its not a good location during game play.

Its certainly understandable that a popular free game like Angry Birds advertises, but I think that the timing and the location are a problem during play so I emailed the developer. I haven't heard back from them yet but I hope they will respond. Maybe if enough players send them suggestions about this they will take care of it.

5. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

The developer needs to come out with a pay version. The ads are a pain and even lag the game slightly.

wags4 likes this.
  6. Sebnotic

Sebnotic Well-Known Member

If you put your phone in airplane mode, the ads won't show up. Although you wouldn't get calls, texts or any form of updates on your phone either. I usually play angry bird when I'm underground on the train anyway. I've also heard there's an app that takes ads out, but you need root access.

7. chickusmc05

chickusmc05 Active Member

ads dont bother me

8. Nagrom

Nagrom Well-Known Member

Just get Adfree. Since I installed it, I've not had one ad on my copy of AB.

9. OFI

OFI Well-Known Member

Not everyone is rooted though :p

CptGemini likes this.
  10. Abdur

Abdur Well-Known Member

Just disable Wifi and Mobile networks when playing. (or go to airplane mode)
    That works EVERYTIME.

11. bill2reg

Good tip about airplane mode, as long as you dont need to receive calls. To ChickUSMC05, you said ads dont bother you. If you mean ads in general then I mostly agree. I dont mind ads, in and of themselves, as I said in my last post, its how we get free stuff. But in this particular game, the ads are in a strategic location for game play. So there should at least be an option to move the position. If, on the other hand, you mean the ads dont bother you when you play Angry Birds, then that is good, but you must be a way better player than I am. I need to see that upper right part of the screen to touch-activate blue bird splitups, black bird bombs, yellow bird whistlers and white bird egg bombs.

12. dumluk2002

dumluk2002 Active Member

OK here is a new problem with AB. I am playing the game and all of a sudden the game is interrupted with a popup screen of a yahoo or such ad..then the game reboots and sometimes goes through this a few times before returning to the main screen . This is not related to the ad in the upper right hand corner of the screen btw

13. asb123

asb123 Well-Known Member

Turn wifi/3g off

14. barely_legal_lover

barely_legal_lover Banned

Z4root+ adblocker = no problems w/ads

15. Loch

Loch Well-Known Member

For the record, you dont need to tap on the actual bird. Can tap anywhere on the screen for their action to be done.

Found that out after cursing the ads for a few days :)

16. nyydynasty

nyydynasty Well-Known Member

i have no problems with the ads, until I accidentally click an ad during a game. I'll back out of the ad but then the game is useless (on the captivate). On mine and my wife's, after exiting out of an ad, the game zooms in and out when I touch the screen and thats all it does. I can't actually play the game. So I have to exit the game and go back into it.