Animated GIF support in browserGeneral

Last Updated:

1. jreagan

jreagan Active Member This Topic's Starter

I've been reading these forums for a while deciding to trade in my old dumbphone LG VX8300 on an Incredible. As a software engineer, I do lots of study before I commit.

So yesterday when I get my new Incredible, I'm shocked to find out that the browser doesn't support animated GIFs! I don't care about the ones with smiley faces poking another smiley face in the eye with a stick, but most of the weather apps use animated GIFs to simulate live radar. That is one of my big uses on the old VX8300 (I do lots of motorcycle riding in the summer and want to know which way the rain is heading...).

The Weather Channel, AccuWeather, etc. all think they have moving radar images but none of them work. I did find RadarNow in the app store but that wasn't sufficient. I eventually found that WeatherBug Elite ($1.99) has moving radar images (they must use a different technique).

I finally found a discussion over at the Android developers list of known issues Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code that discussed the issue.

The developer has made a change for Froyo for large memory phones like the Incredible to enable animated GIFs.

There is a mention of this over in the Motorola Droid forum, but with all the new folks jumping on the Incredible, I thought it might get better visibility here.

So here's one thing that Droid doesn't... that the iPhone (and my ancient dumbphone, and Blackberry, and Palm, etc.) does.

I just thought I'd share my experience so others can find it later.

Advertisement
  2. jonhoglund

jonhoglund Well-Known Member

I haven't received my incredible just yet but i just tried it out on a moto droid and niether the web browser or Opera will do this.....i'm very interested in this as it seems such a simple function.

3. jwm2

jwm2 Well-Known Member

Honestly i have no need for animated gifs. I have weatherbug elite and that takes care of the animation i need. I don't see it as an issue but hey if others need it, then by all means. The good thing is something this simple can be easily fixed, they could even release a patch to enable them if they really felt the need, so we don't have to wait for the next version of the os to get it.

4. jreagan

jreagan Active Member This Topic's Starter

To follow up, I had said I couldn't get the WeatherChannel app to show "live" moving radar. There was an update today and now I can get "live" radar from the WeatherChannel. Not sure if the update helped, if I did something silly yesterday, or if I'm just luckier today.