• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anitvirus for mobiles

Someone once said that a fake version of Angrybirds on teh market used some exploit. However I can't see how this was possible, but wouldn't rule it out.

Android runs applications in a sandboxed environment, and will only let applications have access to phone functions if the user specifically allows it (i.e. presses the allow button).

Personally I dont think it is neccessary, but in the situation where someone has allowed access to an application, I wouldn't know.

Always read reviews of apps

Upvote 0
The thing is, how can you rate an antivirus programme unless you have purposely pushed known android viruses to your phone to test detection rate and outcome?

Is there not an Android equivalent of the 'Eicar test string'?

easy to find out though..just drop a file named eicar.com containg the text string below on to the phone

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Upvote 0
As Danfrance said, you have to allow it...

BBC News - Virus writers hit Google Android phones - this is a link to what BBC has stated to be "Virus Writers Hit Android Phones" - as there was an app that is a media player, but when opened, sent texts to a number that is premuim rate - thus costing money for you and making them money.

However, I wouldnt install a media player that asks for access to read/send text messages. (even though i hardly look at what they are asking, lol)

Thanks, Matt

Upvote 0
As Danfrance said, you have to allow it...

BBC News - Virus writers hit Google Android phones - this is a link to what BBC has stated to be "Virus Writers Hit Android Phones" - as there was an app that is a media player, but when opened, sent texts to a number that is premuim rate - thus costing money for you and making them money.

However, I wouldnt install a media player that asks for access to read/send text messages. (even though i hardly look at what they are asking, lol)

Thanks, Matt

The permissions are ambiguous. It will ask for access to messaging app so It can listen to.receive sms events and allow your message notification to play.

I'm sure that would be typical of a media player

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones