Announcing CapFAQ.com: Frequently-Asked Questions (FAQ) Site for the Samsung Captivate

Last Updated:

1. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I've decided to unveil a project several of us have been working on for some time now:

FAQ - CapFAQ

This site, in wiki format, is designed to be an online resource for frequently-asked questions (FAQ) for the Samsung Captivate.

Now, to be fair, at the moment you could consider it to be in "beta" form as it certainly isn't complete (will it ever be, though?). There is plenty more material that we plan to add. However, it's at the point now where there's enough useful info up on it already that people could start using it for their own help as well as referring others there (versus having to repeat the same answers here on the forums over and over again). I'm particularly proud of the section about converting DVDs. :)

Although the site is in wiki format, it's not an "open" wiki... the contributors are hand-selected from some of the most-helpful members here on the forum. This is to ensure the quality of the information and site. If you have a suggestion of a section or actual material for the site, feel free to email it to admin AT and the domain name. People who demonstrate a high-quality of helpfulness either via emailed suggestions or here on the forums may be invited to join forces as another user with open editor privileges.

Anyhow, be sure to check it out! Enjoy...

Advertisement
  2. Endoran

Endoran Well-Known Member

Wow guys, hats off to you.

3. sob33316

sob33316 Active Member

I have had mine a week and already rooted and this will help with many Questions i have!! :cool:

4. sremick

You're very welcome. The site is not static and will be constantly evolving and growing. Be sure to email along any suggested material or sections.

5. Endoran

This thread should be stuck in the sticky captivate guide.

6. odindra

odindra Well-Known Member

Yesssssssss, hope this all goes well as I hate to read through text upon text just to find that one little obscure answer that has been bugging you for countless minutes, hours, etc....

7. sremick

Plus, for people answering the questions, it's easier to put the effort into one well-composed answer than repeating and retyping it over and over a thousand times on the forums. ;)

8. Endoran

Yah forums aren't exactly optimally built for conciseness. It's a headache reading through the 100+ page threads over at XDA when half of the questions asked have been answered like 20 times already. Forums seem better equipped for just talking. Not question and answer.

9. 3gAndroid

3gAndroid Well-Known Member

Kudo's to all that contributed for a job well done.

FAQ - CapFAQ is a wealth of info for Captivate owners.

Cheers... :)

10. jeremytanner

jeremytanner Well-Known Member

Awesome job. My wife is new to the Captivate, I'm sending her the link, she'll love this, too.

11. sremick

You're welcome. :) If you think of anything the FAQ lacks, be sure to email it along.

12. odindra

"Run the app "One Click Lag Fix". Select the option "Root Device 2.1". This is the only function of this tool you should use."

I'm a bit confused here with this statement under the 'how to root' section. When saying "This is the only function of this tool you should use." does this remark mean that it's the only function to use in order to root OR does it mean that when using this app you should ONLY be using it for rooting and not as a lagfix? cuz I used it for both......................

13. Grut

Grut Well-Known Member

Great website, very informative! Added it to my favorites.... Good luck on future development.

14. sremick

Both. ;)

For rooting, that's the only part of the app to use.

And as lagfixes go, it's far from the safest or least-intrusive. But I'm not a fan of lagfixes because none of them are safe and all have significant risks and side-effects.

Remember: just because something is made easy for you, doesn't mean its safe or something you should do. I could make you an app that formatted your phone in "one click".

15. picklesNICKLES

picklesNICKLES Well-Known Member

that's cool and all but there are way too many opinions being thrown around.

"Titanium Backup

If you're serious about backing up your data, the tool to use is Titanium Backup. It is more-thorough about the details and configuration information it can access and back up so that it's easier to return your phone to a previous state with less effort. Note that this requires root to work properly. Be sure to pay the $4 for the full version... perhaps the best $4 you'll ever spend on your phone. It's really not worth being a cheapskate here."

16. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Sample question:

What programs are available for backing up my Captivate?

Sample reply:

MyBackup Pro
    Titanium Backup

= = = = =

Would that be more useful?

17. Segfault

Segfault Well-Known Member

Nice job on the FAQ site.

18. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

19. odindra

What would be the recommended way to lagfix, if at all, then? Voodoo, b/c that's also a OCLF, right? Sorry, but I'm still new to this platform so any insightful help is greatly appreciated. :D

20. reinbeau

reinbeau Klaatu barada nikto VIP Member

So far I haven't seen any lags that need fixing, so I haven't bothered with it.

21. odindra

Well then, aren't you the lucky one....oooOOOooUUUuuuuUUUU :p

22. sremick

Been there since day one. :) See "Links to other resources/sites" on the front page.

Links - CapFAQ

23. sremick

Don't take "OCLF" literally. That term is only used to refer to one specific tool out there, not a category of tools.

I don't consider any lagfix to be "recommended". Each has significant risks and downsides/ramifications. There are far too many unhappy users on this forum experiencing problems directly the result of having a lagfix installed... lagfixes which they were pressured into installing by everyone on this forum talking about them constantly as if they were the easiest, safest, and most-natural and expected things to be installing by every newbie.

odindra likes this.
  24. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

25. sremick

Thanks. :) Glad we were worthy enough for mention.

Anyone else making links: probably best to use www.capfaq.com and not www.capfaq.com/w/FAQ which is simply what it expands to at the moment by virtue of the wiki software. :)