Annoyance with voice commands

Last Updated:

1. Dignan17

Dignan17 Well-Known Member

I have a Galaxy Nexus running Jelly Bean (stock). I was wondering if people with other phones and other versions of Android could check an annoying thing that came up for me today.

I pressed the microphone icon and started a "note to self..." as I do all the time. I'm constantly using the feature to send me emails as my to do list. Anyway, I spoke the following:

"note to self drive mom to the airport on monday"

Unfortunately it looks like the voice commands feature has gotten too smart for its own good, because what I got back was a card that said "Sorry, alarms and reminders only support times of day, but not dates." Clearly, I didn't want to set a reminder, and used a syntax that would have worked when the system was much more strict, but now it's getting messed up.

I'm not sure what I'm looking for here, but I guess I wanted to raise a little awareness of the problem. Is anyone else having the issue?

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I just tried it using a Samsung Galaxy S2 running ICS and the note worked just fine. One little trick you might want to look at is to create a contact called "Calendar" with the number 48368 under the mobile number.

Then instead of saying "note to self" say "send text to calendar" ... so if you say "send text to calendar take mom to the airport on monday." it will create an all day event on your Google calendar. If you say Monday at 10:00 a.m. it will create a one hour appointment.

That's what I've been doing for a while now and setting calendar appointments has become so much easier. And I sync my Google calendar to my outlook calendar so I get my reminders at work as well.
  3. Dignan17

Dignan17 Well-Known Member

Sir, that is brilliant. I will have to look into doing the same thing. Great idea!
  4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

The first time you set this up, you have to confirm from the phone that it is permitted to make entries on your calendar, but after that it's seamless.