• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Annoyed at Android up keep, especially after upgrades

Droid_Badger

Jul 15, 2010
Love my Droid X. Love how I can customize the phone. So many positives with its integration with Google.

Hate, hate, hate, how much up keep my phone requires. The upgrades create problems with the apps. There are so many settings. Some of the apps cause problems with memory. Etc, etc.

It makes the iPhone and its stability look good. Just annoyed. A lot of things were changed in 2.3 and it's hard to spend the time fixing everything.

Am I biting? I'm not sure. I haven't noticed anything that you speak of here though, I've got over 100 apps on my phone and after installation and initial configuration the only reason I find myself having to do anything to them is because I'm obsessive compulsive. I have to play with things... tinker... push buttons.

The way my phone is set up, even with the number of apps on it... doesn't take an ounce of upkeep. Upgrades? "Updates are available" Click. "Update all" Click.

Upvote 0
Love my Droid X. Love how I can customize the phone. So many positives with its integration with Google.

Hate, hate, hate, how much up keep my phone requires. The upgrades create problems with the apps. There are so many settings. Some of the apps cause problems with memory. Etc, etc.

It makes the iPhone and its stability look good. Just annoyed. A lot of things were changed in 2.3 and it's hard to spend the time fixing everything.

it is part of the appeal of a closed platform like iOS...no doubt about it...in general...like all of Apple's products the iPhone simply "just works." that isn't to say they don't have problems...i have friends that have had terrible issues with iPhones...stuff like that happens with every hardware/software...

Upvote 0
"With great power comes great responsibility."

If you want the power to be able to customize virtually everything on the phone, and you are using 3rd party apps to do this, you have to expect that sometimes things just won't play nice.

iPhone is "stable" because they limit what you can change.

Solution? Don't update!

I have stopped updating apps unless there is an important feature or security issue in the update (I read the version notes). Most of the time, there is no reason for me to update, and I've often had to "roll back" to old versions that I prefer anyway.

Upvote 0
"With great power comes great responsibility."

If you want the power to be able to customize virtually everything on the phone, and you are using 3rd party apps to do this, you have to expect that sometimes things just won't play nice.

Solution? Don't update!

I have stopped updating apps unless there is an important feature or security issue in the update (I read the version notes). Most of the time, there is no reason for me to update, and I've often had to "roll back" to old versions that I prefer anyway.

I won't habitually skip updates, but I will look for changelogs and insightful market comments. I actually just caught one this morning that complled me to email the Dev about clarifying something before updating. A little forethought goes a long way.

Upvote 0

its not just that...its a closed process from the time the first silicon is manufactured, till it reaches your hand...

- Apple chooses the hardware it wants
- Apple designs the OS with that hardware in mind
- Apple controls manufacturing
- Apple controls the installation of the OS
- Apple controls packaging
- Apple controls shipping
- Apple controls sales
- Apple controls support/service
- Apple controls the apps you're able to install on your phone

the first two are the real keys in the whole operation...and it works the same way for their computers...when an operating system only has to support a very specific and narrow set of hardware options it makes things much easier...

look at CyanogenMod for the X...they can't get some very basic hardware functionality yet (complete GPS, Camera, Hardware media decoding etc) because they have not quite figured out how to code everything specifically for our hardware yet...

Apple doesn't have to worry about any of this...

Upvote 0
I'm confused as to how you have "too much upkeep." Don't update your apps and you'll have zero upkeep. Otherwise, stop complaining that there's updates to the apps you find worth keeping on your phone. Too many settings? It sounds like the iPhone is a good, simplistic choice for you.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones