annoying '1' on messaging icon issueSupport

1. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

I have deduced from 45 minutes of web surfing that the issue is out there,but i find no solutions for it. So, has anyone here figured out how to fix the bug that makes it appear that I have an unread text? The rebooting of the phone has become annoying....And that is the only way I can make the little '1' go away without deleteing the whole thread.

Advertisement
    :
  2. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

I haven't had that issue. Are you opening the message in messaging or just reading it off the status bar as it comes in?
  3. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

Reading, rereading, cussing, rereading, cussing some more,clearing ram,messing with settings- nothing works except powering down or deleting the message thread.... I have opened it in every way I can. It ain't an email or a voicemail either. Dadblame it!!!!
  4. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby Guides Guide

Atma and walmart989 like this.
  5. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

I tried the developer setting earlier, but the 1 wouldn't go away. I just reunchecked it and used wifes phone to send a load of messages and none hung up. I'll keep posted if it works for a day or two. Many thanks,I wouldn't have retried this without your help.
  6. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

This issue has gotten worse. I no longer fight it, just reboot the phone. I'd say +50% of my texts now hang up and show as unread even though I have read them.
  7. Bandaid

Bandaid Well-Known Member

Walmart989, Have you tried a factory reset and wiping your cache? Also what android version are you using?
  8. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

4.0.4 Trying to avoid reset!
  9. Bandaid

I couldn't find much online with a good solution other then full wipe. Is there a reason why you dont wont to reset the phone? There are pretty good apps for backing up your stuff whether your rooted or not.
    walmart989 likes this.
  10. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

No good reason, I just hate figuring stuff out. I know there are 8000 step by step tutorials out there, I just am afraid of messing something up. I'm a world class messer upper.
  11. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

I went ahead and reset. I plugged into kies and had an update, and since you need to do a reset after an update.... Still didn't fix the problem. Oh well. Maybe I'll figure it out someday.
  12. Bandaid

after a reset did you wipe the cache? That makes a big difference in many cases.
    walmart989 likes this.
  13. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

No. I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this. I guess it's probably to late to just wipe it now, huh. I d**n sure did not enjoy refiguring every thing I had set up after I reset the other night. I work nights, and it made for a good time killer for about 3 hours late Saturday night, just not wanting to dedicate another 3 hours.
    If I did decide to redo it, can you point me in the right direction on some way to avoid having to spend quality TV watching time resetting all my settings? I have found that I cannot watch TV and muck around with this phone at the same time.
    I appreciate your time and replies.
  14. Atma

Atma Well-Known Member

You can still wipe the cache. Only takes a couple minutes. :)

Power off your phone. Hold both volume buttons and the power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates, let go of the power button but keep holding both volume buttons. In a few seconds you should be in the recovery menu. Use volume buttons to move up/down and power button to select. *if power button doesn't work, use your home key*. Now select format cache partition. When its done, select reboot and see if that helps. It won't delete apps or anything so there's nothing you have to reinstall.
    Bandaid likes this.
  15. Bandaid

Atmazzz, is right, it only takes a few minutes. I have free time Saturday if you need any help with anything.
    walmart989 likes this.
  16. walmart989

walmart989 Active Member

I did it, didn't take more than 60 seconds tops. Hope this fixes it. I know it's not a phone problem, but an Android problem. Still wouldn't trade my almost 2 year old Samsung technology for the apple whatever just came out. Apples give me diarrhea.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe someday I'll be a helper instead of a helpee.