• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying App pop up browser

smulder1

Lurker
Nov 16, 2010
Hi guys - forum newbie here, so forgive me if I sound like a bit of an idiot.

I've got a new Xperia z5 running Android 6.0. I haven't rooted the phone or done anything clever with it, I've simply signed in with my Google account and downloaded a few apps to get me started.

What seems to happen now, if I leave the phone dormant for a period, when I unlock the screen, and open an app - any app - the first thing that happens is that whilst the app is loading in the background, a web browser opens with a URL that I'm never quick enough to copy (it's something like "linktogo"). The page is blank, but is effectively a redirect back to the Google Play Store, where I'm presented with the Uber app, and asked to download. I can just back out of that and return to the app I'd originally selected, but it's pretty annoying.

I had the Uber app on my old phone, but haven't downloaded it on the new one.

I've tried installing two different anti-virus tools and neither find any malware or issues on the device. I've got a pop up blocker, but that's done nothing. And I've trawled through the settings to see if I can find an answer in there, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help stop this from happening?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones