• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying browser glitch

omeyga

Dec 26, 2009
Florence, Alabama
Whenever i've entered something into a search field on a website (example: google) everything works fine.....Until I try to enter something else. Then it pulls up what i've previously entered, and even after clearing that out and typing in something new, hitting the GO button submits whatever was previously in there.

The only fix i've found is to either exit that site and reload the site, or hit the go back arrow to remove the keyboard from the screen and manually hit the button on the website....very annoying!

What's happening is if you type a new search in, then use the keyboard's "next" and then "go" button, by pressing "next" you're changing the focus to the search box at the bottom, so even if you've typed new stuff in the top search box, the text from your previous search in the bottom box gets sent.

To fix: just press the magnifying glass on the google page instead of using the keyboard to submit your search.

Hope I understood correctly and that this helps :)

Upvote 0
Actually if you are in a search field on say the Google site, which contains no other fields, it only has GO....which takes you back to the same search field and automatically fills it in with whatever you had in there previously.

To use the magnifying glass you have to enter text, then click back to the page to submit....very annoying but I guess it's just a standard process for Android.

But thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0
My google's different to yours then :D

..by which I mean, once you've done one search, the search results page then has two search boxes, one at the top, one at the bottom.

Using 'Go' on the main page takes you to the results page... so I don't understand how you'd ever get to type a search into the same box twice. If you see what I mean (good luck, I'm struggling myself).

Plus, I hadn't been using my phone landscape, so I hadn't thought about exiting the keyboard. Nevertheless, using 'Go' in landscape works fine for me.

Upvote 0
Ok.....I use google search also. When I tap the search box, my android keyboard comes up.....the button at the top right says next. In order for me to search, I type in my request......hit the return button on the phone itself to get me back to the google page.....my request is in the box and then I hit search on the page......ocassionally I will see "GO" at the right of the text entry box. My wife had an Iphone and I got her a Captivate for Christmas and she hates the search because her Safari just added the keyboard to the bottom of the browser so after you entered your text....you hit go and all is well. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones