Annoying capital letter handling

1. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I wanted to reply to a topic with the simple answer of "OTA".

I know we have a filter that does not let you use too many capitals (Shouting prevention) but 3 letter words should be fine.

I typed "OTA" and it changed to "Ota". I thought that was odd. I typed "Just OTA" and OTA stayed correct so I assumed that it was some sort of standard capitalisation setting to ensure the first letter of a sentence was capitalised.

I then changed the "Just" to "just" to test that and it remained "just". So what is doing this? Why can't I type "OTA" without it being changed as the first "word" of a post?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I don't know but, 3 is too few, changed to 6.
    bberryhill0 and SUroot like this.
  3. SUroot

OTA

Edit, Brilliant, thanks
  4. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I don't think it's to do with which word is first. I know that thread titles will switch to lowercase if every single letter you typed was capitalised. So I presume posts follow the same rule, which is why adding 'Just' works.

So 'JUST OTA' wouldn't work, but 'OTA Just' would.
  5. SUroot

No, What I mean is

became

But if I put the word "Just" in front of it....

was the result... Meaning that "OTA" was unaffected, unlike if it was the first word.

However,

did not become

Would have become

I suspect
  6. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles VIP Member

It won't let all the letters in a post be capitalized, so you have to have some that are lowercase as well.
  7. SUroot

Yes indeed. This has been fixed now anyway. I can now post just "OTA" without it being affected by this feature.
  8. Xyro

Yeah, like agentc said, I think the rule is as simple as that. The script looks for lowercase letters and if there are none, it reformats it for you.

So in that example, the presence of the lowercase 'ust' stops the forum interfering.

None of those examples, even the 'OTA Just', would be touched because they all have lowercase letters in them. :)

I can see your logic, since the forum will reformat posts to have a capitalised first letter if the script kicks in, but I don't think that's correct.

I'll try it with something over 6 letters:
  9. Xyro

OTAOTAOTAOTAOTA Just