• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Annoying Contacts widget issue

Methos1979

Android Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2012
Third rock from the Sun
I really like the Contacts 4x1 widget that came with our phone. It's the one that displays four contacts on the page and then you can select any one of them to text or call, or you can swipe down and it will display all the people you have starred as favorites in your contact list. I think it's a great widget and works very well - usually.

The issue I run into every once in a while is that for some reason the widget will just arbitrarily re-order the photos/contacts. I have a definite order of priority to this widget with my immediate family being the first four and therefore the ones I want to see displayed. When the phone just decides to re-order them I have to go in and put them back in place.

It does not happen all the time and it does not seem that anything in particular is causing the re-ordering. It happens after a reboot, but not after every reboot. Sometimes it seems very stable and comes back correctly every time and just when I think it's worked itself out - boom! it goes back and re-orders people.

Anyone else using this widget and have this issue? Anyone know of a similar app or widget that provides a similar feature that is more stable? Of all the stock things that came with my phone this was my second favorite next to the Circles widget. Can't use that one anymore because I use Nova. I'll hate to lose this one too.

You may be having a sync error scenario. Your phone goes to sync/refresh contacts from whatever contact server you use (Google, Exchange etc) and fails for some reason. This could be a communication issue or a corrupted contact or something else. Some favorite contacts get removed from the phone temporarily and the widget orders in the ones it has to work with. After the next successful sync it adds the favorites back but the order changes.

I've seen contacts completely disappear and require a whole account refresh. Blur is much better than AOSP at healing itself which is why I stick with Moto phones. With 3 Ex accounts and one google account with over 1800 contacts, the phone gets pushed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones