Annoying issue with SMSSupport

Last Updated:

1. phnar

phnar Member This Topic's Starter

In messages (HTC Desire), when I type 'if', it automatically suggests 'of'.

I don't want to turn off the word predictions because generally I find them very useful but I have no idea why it keeps wanting to change 'if' to 'of'; obviously with 'if' being such a common word, it's a real hassle to keep changing it.

I wonder if when I got the phone I typed 'if' and meant 'of', so changed it... but now I can't see how to get it back.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can reset the prediction?

It's driving me crazy, so any help would be massively appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

I bet your running Sense? I know in the stock ui, you can tap&hold any word in the suggested words list above the keyboard and Android will save your desired word for correction.

3. phnar

Yep, it came with Sense (which generally I like, I have to admit).

I bet that's what I did... i.e. I typed 'if' but meant to type 'of' so tapped the word above and changed it. So, I suppose my question is... how to I get it to 'unremember' that?

4. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Settings>Keyboard>User Dictionary> tap and hold the offending word and tap remove

(I just went into my user dictonary to make sure I had the path correct and realized what a foul languaged man I am)

5. phnar

Hehe! My user dictionary is full of swears too!

That's the problem though... I haven't put 'of' into the user dictionary, so it's not there to delete. I'd hoped that by writing 'if' and correcting it to 'if' over and over and over again, it'd eventually change, but it hasn't yet, and I must've done it 150+ times.

Any other ideas? Really appreciate you trying to help me out.

6. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

if you type "if" and want "if". Just tap and hold the suggested word, since you haven't saved it. you could do the same for "of" if the "if" solution works correctly.

7. phnar

Tried that. But it doesn't remember that 'if' means 'if', so every single time I write 'if' (a lot) I have to tap 'if' in the list above to prevent it writing 'of'.

8. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

Well that is odd. You can manually add a word in the user dictionary, you may try that. Otherwise I'm stumped...

Back up your apps to sd card and try a factory restore?

9. phnar

Trying to avoid that, but looks like a factory reset might be the only route.

I tried adding 'if' to the user dictionary to see if it picks up on it, but it doesn't. I tried clearing the touch input data as suggested here.

I'm running out of ideas, but it seems like such a silly little issue that would be easily fixed.

10. phnar

Factory reset didn't work either. Geeez.

11. Chan_B

Chan_B Well-Known Member

Yeh I noticed this too, it only happens when I type 'if' it replaces it with 'of' unless I manually select the if from the prediction menu, I think 'if' isn't in the android dictionary as default?

12. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

You must be hitting the o button.

13. phnar

Thank you for such insightful advice.

14. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

It's very easy to touch the button next to the one you want. I do it frequently using qwerty in portrait mode. Auto correct helps, but sometimes there are several solutions based on where you've touched the screen. Like shoe instead of show
    As others have said, the chosen word will show green, and pressing space will select this word.

15. phnar

Sorry for being sarcastic, I thought you were taking the pi$$.

No, I'm definitely typing 'if' and it's defaulting to 'of'.

16. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Do you have word prediction enabled? As in it will guess the next word you'll use? I've had mixed results if you have that & correction enabled at the same time.

17. phnar

I do and, as I said above, I find it generally pretty useful. But in this case it's taking one correct word 'if' and insisting I mean another correct word 'of'. I'll live with it but it's such a niggly little issue, I can't believe there's no fix.

18. OstrichSaK

OstrichSaK Well-Known Member

I need to do this. What bothers me the most is the word 'ill' as I don't think I've ever used it on a sentence on my Droid. I need to delete that so I get the word I'll every time w/o needless key strokes. The one that bothers me is how the dictionary has a bunch of common words (not proper nouns) capitalized so that when you type it in the middle of the sentence lower case it defaults to the upper case version. Since it auto adjust case based on where you are in the sentence or if you have tapped the shift key I don't know why this is even an option. I know I didn't add them, that's for sure. I need to go in and delete words that have this.