Another Android and Mac conversion question

Last Updated:

1. llamacide

llamacide New Member This Topic's Starter

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before but i searched and couldn't find an answer...

I am a Mac user (photographer/ videographer). I also rely heavily on my iPod Touch when mobile (i can often find a wifi signal when i'm out and about). I use iCal on the Touch and iCal on my Mac as well as the address book on both everyday and as a Mobile Me user, my two devices snyc so evrything is mirrored and up to date...

I also HATE AT&T for their terrible signal strength and coverage and have been a loyal Verizon customer for many years.... and this is why I don't have an iPhone.

Okay, all that being said... is there an easy way to still use everything I love and rely on with my Mac (the calender and address book, mainly) and easily sync all of my existing information and future info to an Android based device?

How easy is it to use an Android device with a Mac?

I don't want to have to manually re-enter my entire address book into a new device....

Thanx
    T

Advertisement
  2. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

For the address book, simply bluetooth transfer the contacts over. Pretty simple really. Then they will automatically sync OTA to Google's servers, and they'll be backed up permanently.

Google Calender > iCal, I suggest migrating, as Google Calender can be used anywhere you have a browser, and flawlessly syncs with your native Google calender app.

3. llamacide

llamacide New Member This Topic's Starter

okay, I tried some of the migration over to Google's Calender, but to be honest, I'm not really liking it...

How about the Missing Sync software? Does anyone use this? I understand is costs about 40 bucks but is it any simpler or is it just more work?

I would really love to just have my iCal and contacts in address book "two-way sync" between my phone and mac without any complication.... and not have to use Google's calender. Am I just expecting too much!?!

4. JerryCrockford

JerryCrockford Member

Putting in my 2cents worth...

I tried Missing Sync and became teed off with slow (Amazingly, jaw-droppingly slow) performance and constant lost data.

So, I bought Spanning Sync, which sends iCal and Address book via Google Calendar

5. Chroma

Chroma Well-Known Member

I use missing sync on my macbook and it works like a charm. I have no idea what JerryCrockford is talking about with "lost data".

Recently, I moved my calendar and contacts over to google so I no longer sync them. I currently use missing sync for music/playlist in itunes and to keep a few select file folders in sync on my phone and laptop.

6. JerryCrockford

JerryCrockford Member

Let me explain the 'lost data'...

Missing Sync has been a real nightmare for me. But maybe I got unlucky? :(

I used to use it from Palm to Mac, and it was great.

But now, from my MacBook Pro to my HTC Legend, it has been really painful.

Every sync takes ages. Really. And occasionally, (For no reason that I can fathom), it will double up EVERY contact, or delete a whole lot of appointments. Everything is lost. Gone. Zapped.

It got to the point where I was doing a backup of iCal prior to every sync, 'just in case'. Drove me nutzo!! :mad:

As someone who relies on a working diary for work, it was just unacceptable. So, I made the switch to Spanning Sync via Google Calendar, and it has, (Fingers crossed!) operated seamlessly.

There are plenty of people who have a good experience with Missing Sync though, so as I said, perhaps I'm just unlucky with my current setup.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents (Or is that $40 for Missing Sync) worth.

Cheers!!

7. Joe Condon

Joe Condon New Member

I am having trouble syncing my ical on macbook pro to HTC legend, any advice on how to complete? contacts etc all ok.

8. lordofthereef

lordofthereef Well-Known Member

Is there not a way to sync all this data with your google account? I think there is an option, at least with contacts?

9. Alex Taylor

Alex Taylor Well-Known Member

Take a look at SyncMate 3 Beta - this app allows syncing Mac and Android for free (while in Beta). Allows syncing contacts, calendar, music, video, folders, images, manage SMS on Mac and mount Android as additional Mac disk. And it is free:)