Another App Stealing Data?

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Security firm MyLookout claims that developer Jackeey – the publisher of the app Wallpaper in the Android market – is sending your data to someone in China if you have their app installed. The collection of apps pose as harmless wallpaper galleries, but they do a lot more behind that black, shady curtain that you [...]

More...

Advertisement
    macewindu likes this.
  2. ArcherB

ArcherB Member

Why are these apps still on the market place? Why are these apps still listed when I click "Apps" on the top of this page and type "Jackeey" in the search box? Seriously need some quality control!

3. jree

jree Well-Known Member

One good thing about iphone market is that they have quality control over developers apps.

4. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

I understand that Google wants to make the Android Market as open as possible, but there really needs to be SOME kind of security check of apps before they get into the market! I don't really like the way Apple does their market, they keep it too limited, but I've never had anything like this happen with any app I've downloaded from there either. The whole Android Market security issue thing is the one glaring negative to their whole way of running things. I hope they have this problem fixed by next summer, that's when my iPhone contract expires and I can make the switch.

5. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

yeah and that quality control did not stop a Vietnamese developer hacking thousands of users accounts so he could buy his own apps thus increasing his revenue / standing within the market until it was WAY WAY too late.

IOWA likes this.
  6. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Well-Known Member

Didn't say it was perfect, but how many times has that happened in the Apple App Store, the one time? And how many malicious apps have come up in the Android Market? Something really needs o be done where those kinds of apps can be caught BEFORE they get to the Market rather than after it's been released into the wild.

7. techdaring

techdaring Well-Known Member

It must to access because it required to work ! Not almost apps steal your data.

8. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

How is that even remotely the same thing? Downloading an app that millions of users can download vs. one hacker getting a hold of iTunes accounts?

9. ThreeDog

ThreeDog Well-Known Member

because he used his app that was sold via the itunes store to mine data from his users thus gaining access to their accounts.

if any thing it was far worse.

10. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member

Link? All I've heard was that he hacked into accounts and then proceeded to purchase his own apps with their money.

11. skytechnetwork.com

skytechnetwork.com Active Member

Sometime apps required to access some of your data to working. It isn't mean you lose it.