Another battery thread...sorry

Last Updated:

1. eteyen1

eteyen1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hello my fellow desire users. Yes indeed, this is another battery related thread. I am a new user, having gotten my desire a week ago. Must say I am impressed, but as many others on here, a bit upset at my battery life. It can't even last a day. Before getting it, I had read about all the battery saving techniques so was prepared. I control my sync, wifi is off, screen brightness is on auto, 3g is on but shouldnt affect it that bad, and I have advanced task killer, but still not getting up to a days use.

reading through the threads, people are boasting up to a day and a half's use and I would be more than excited by that but cant manage it. There is also a lot of talk about conditioning your battery and the battery life getting better with time. My questions are these: how do I condition my battery, and usually how long till the battery life starts to improve? I play super k.o boxing a lot which I know drains my battery but still, it goes down way too quickly and I'm having to carry a charger everywhere I go. I am wondering whether to consider returning it if there is a problem with my battery. But yea, answers to my questions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. DjLukeW

DjLukeW Well-Known Member

Keep doing full decharge and re charge. Make sure you turn off Wifi/3G/Bluetooth when not in use.

And use Advanced tak killer to kill any apps still running when you dont need them

Mine has gone from 1 day to 2 days worth of average use

3. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

Mine took about 10 days to bed in. Although it was at the same time as I tried a shutdown and battery pull as I had high "Android System" usage on the battery screen. Don't worry when I first got mine I was charging it twice a day!! It does get better (and I'm willing to bet at the moment you just can't put it down ;) )

I now have everything turned on all the time on auto brightness and have removed my task killer and Everything is fine.

One thing I do recommend though it using Timeriffic & APNDroid to turn of wifi and APN (And whatever else you want e.g. volume etc.) overnight and automatically back on in the morning. Not only is it a battery saver but it also stops you from being woken up by emails \texts in the middle of the night.

It only takes 5 minutes to set up a basic schedule.

4. eteyen1

thanks guys, will try the tips suggested. Any more info from anyone?

5. diS

diS Well-Known Member

Hey man

I use my desire almost constantly and I can get 2 days out of it.
    Wifi is always on and I don't use task killler.

And like DJLukeW said: "Keep doing full decharge and re charge.".

6. WozzaTT

WozzaTT Well-Known Member

Why not just switch it off overnight unless you use the alarm clock?!

Apologies for the dopey question but what is APN and what do you lose if you switch it off?

Battery life is a strange one - on my first handset I used to lose a lot of juice during the day, even with extremely minimal use ie just sending a couple of texts. With the one I got yesterday, I've just got home and the stock battery indicator is still completely green.

Maybe some batteries are better than others? For everyone who says use a task killer, there is someone who says this won't help, and for everyone who says do a full battery flat and then full recharge there are many who will say this makes no difference.

We need a bonafide battery expert on the case!

7. diS

diS Well-Known Member

I think it is your mobile netwerk

8. WozzaTT

What's that though? Access to the internet that isn't wi-fi?

9. RetroDude

RetroDude Well-Known Member

Yeh, switches off your data useage, still get calls and wifi etc though

WozzaTT likes this.
  10. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

11. eteyen1

There seems to be conflicting evidence with wome people saying to fully chqrge qnd discharge and others saying not to. I'm quite confused :s

Also wozzat how come you had to get a new handset, was it the battery and if so, who'd you get your phone from.

I really want to believe that my battery will somehow get better, i need it to!

12. Phenomenological

Phenomenological Well-Known Member

Conditioning Li-Ion batteries has negligible effect. The only two things it can help with are recalibrating the phones battery remaining sensor (But only needs doing occasionally), and inducing a bizarre state of denial in people that acts as some form of placebo. :p

13. WozzaTT

Hi - ironically I returned the first phone because the battery life was so poor but missed it so ordered a second one! Can't go wrong with O2 -

14. eteyen1

Well I got mine on contract from o2 so not sure if I can just return it. hopefully my battery gets better like everyone seems to say but I'm not holding my breath. might call the geek squad insurance thing from cpw and see what they say

15. nacatomi

nacatomi Well-Known Member

I do occasionally use the alarm clock but as I said I just turn down the volume for calls so I can still get any emergency calls. And this way I dont have to remember to turn my phone off\on, its all automatic.

The APN is your access to the internet (mobile data ) when you are not connected via wifi. As I'm not bothered about emails\syncs overnight I switch then off to conserve battery life.

The only time I ever switch my phone if is if I have a problem, just charge it overnight and if it needs topping up during the day I plug it into my PC at work.

I'm just speaking form my personal experience that when I first got the desire battery life was terrible and without doing anything that special other than one full cycle it is now more than acceptable for what is really a portable computer\camera\games device & lastly...... a phone ;)

On the subject of Task Killers I've not noticed any change in battery life really, but I have noticed the phone is more stable with less random things happening after uninstalling it.