• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another clue to the evo pricing game

Using that logic: Cost to htc 300. Cost to sprint 400-500. You buy it for 200. 2 years of service contract more than makes up the cost difference (70*24=1680 ish?). Which still puts at least 1400$ in sprint's pocket.

the phones don't cost that much to make on large scale, the prototypes cost thousands but once mainstream only 150-200 to make

Though Sprint doesn't make phones so they are paying HTC a higher price, I am probably making this up but I'm guessing about $200. So the phone costs Sprint about $350-$400, ~$200 worth is paid by the consumer.

And you can't really count a service contract as pure profit, you have to pay employee's and for all the hardware it takes to expand coverage. Being a cellphone provider in the USA isn't a small task considering how big the country is and the vastly different landscapes.

Upvote 0
Though Sprint doesn't make phones so they are paying HTC a higher price, I am probably making this up but I'm guessing about $200. So the phone costs Sprint about $350-$400, ~$200 worth is paid by the consumer.

And you can't really count a service contract as pure profit, you have to pay employee's and for all the hardware it takes to expand coverage. Being a cellphone provider in the USA isn't a small task considering how big the country is and the vastly different landscapes.

I Checked On Sprint's Website And I Noticed That The Most Expensive Phones On There Are The HTC Touch Pro 2 And The Motorola Stature i9 But They Both Suck! So Imagine The Price On The Evo!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones