• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another Date Usage question/problem

redwood66

Jul 26, 2010
Hi all,

We recently cancelled our Verizon aircard since our sons have left for boot camp. Our plan was the grandfathered unlimited with speed loss after 5gb that we had for years. The kids used it for CoD and other games online. We also used it for our 2 laptops for internet browsing since we have a Cradlepoint router. Our total usage per month ran 5.5-6gb. This was our only internet since we live in the sticks with no DSL or cable internet available.

Now I have an X and hubby has an Eris both with unlimited data plans. I figured we would never use more than the allowed 5gb per phone for internet browsing since we do not play games online. I have not used Pandora in 2 months and have not changed my browsing habits from before. Yet last month the data usage for just the X was over 6gb! I use pdanet and so does hubby. His usage on the Eris was under 2gb. I just turned off the background data and deleted the programs like weather, news etc. so that things are not using data when I don't need to. I do not spend all day messing with my phone checking crap on the internet. Browsing in the evening since I work all day. I have even started checking my Yahoo account at my work computer so I don't download spam or other crap when I get home.

Help Please!

Any suggestions why this would be happening or what I can do to help the usage. Other than the smart aleck answer of "don't use it to tether." And I do not want to hear that I am going against my ToS as that is not my question.

Thanks all.

I would maybe think about downloading something like spare parts or battery left which will give you a readout of things that are running, im wondering if theres something running in the background that your unaware of thats using data. I dont do a lot of tethering but I do stream scanner radio for about 2 hours 6 days a week (on my commute home from work) and I use my X A LOT and dont hit 6gb. I think my HIGHEST was like 3.5 or 4gb in a month...

Upvote 0
I checked the specific usage on Verizon's site and it seems my phone has usage at or around 4am nearly every day of 150-270mb. I am sleeping! What could this be? Thanks.

again, I would download one of those two programs I said to in my first post. under battery history one of the options you can look at is "network usage"

Reactions: redwood66
Upvote 0
Thank you. So I downloaded Battery History and it shows totals for network usage (for all time)

Media listing is using most battery

Total bytes: 17983264

Packages sharing this UID:

DRM protected content storage
download manager
gallery
media storage
mediasync
oma download
com.motorola.android.omadrm
com.motorola.android.wmdrm.dla
com.motorola.photowidget

Do these mean anything to anyone? I also did a factory reset yesterday. But these were the same before the reset. Thanks.

Upvote 0
In case anyone cares...

I found the problem is a specific website forum. It would roll megabytes of data the minute I went there and did not stop until I disconnected my phone. Even if I closed that tab in the browser. The site is Navyformoms.com and I have no idea why it would do that but since I quit going there data usage is about 150-250 mb per day.

Anyone have any suggestions as to why that or any particular website would roll that much data?

I would watch my counter on the phone and it used 45mb in about 3.5 minutes. Crazy.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones