Another debranding on Orange thread!

Last Updated:

1. Bouchehog

Bouchehog Member This Topic's Starter

I appreciate that there are hundreds of threads on this topic already but I'm finding the various information quite astonishingly confusing. I picked up my desire on Orange in July and I've been variously suffering at the hands of the Orange branding ever since. My phone has been updated with two OTA updates and is currently running Android 2.2 with software version 2.17.61.2.

I would like to be able to debrand my handset and use the HTC stock stuff, updating OTA as and when updates become available. I have no particular desire to use my phone on other networks and so I don't need to unlock unless this is part of the process. If debranding is going to involve manual updates or other problems then I'd prefer to stick with the Orange-based abomination.

There are various guides around of various complexity. SJamG's guide from April on these forums seems simple but is out of date. Arbeech's guide on GiffGaff has links to the 1.15 update and the thread is from June.

I'm obviously a little bit worried about using older guides and it seems that people have run into all sorts of problems, with sim cards becoming locked in the process, the wifi stopping, the whole radio stopping and various errors which have prevented the process part way through.

I had a few questions and would appreciate a couple of quick answers:
    1. If I update will it effect my wifi/radio, etc?
    2. Do I have to unlock the phone as well?
    3. Will I have to go through this process on each occasion or can I just update OTA for future updates?
    4. Can I use the same guides and just substitute the latest releases and if so where can I find the latest files?
    5. Can anyone recommend any other guides for this?

Advertisement
  2. swgastro

swgastro Well-Known Member

This is the guide I used to debrand my 3 UK phone

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/177907-froyo-2-09-405-8-update-windows-not-required.html

It worked for me although I am still locked to three, I can now get updates as soon as they are released and not wait months for three to add thier bloatware.

So far, I have had no problems with the phone.

This will void any warranty so make sure that there is an orange RRU available should you need to return your phone.

Peace out.

3. shauny13

shauny13 Well-Known Member

i debranded my orange desire, it was quite simple. If you have a gold card in and remove the sim when you update it wont simlock or disable wifi. Hope this helps.