Another month, another 7-8GB of data used

Last Updated:

1. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't consider myself a heavy data user. When I'm home or at a place with wifi, that is what I use. I stream podcasts with Google Listen mostly and use Pandora in the car. My commute is roughtly 90 minutes per day. So far, I am averaging 7-8GB of data each month. I thought it would be less. Wait till the Netflix app hits. If the Netflix app is not crippled to only work on wifi only, my data will probably go to 15GB a month. I don't think that I will be the only one either. I have the paid version of PDAnet but rarely use it. If and when VZW goes with tiered plans, the late adopters will be screwed. I will not be able to afford paying per byte for anything over a 2GB limit. :eek:

Advertisement
  2. gvillager

gvillager Well-Known Member

In my opinion streaming Pandora 90 minutes a day makes you a heavy user.

3. 3devious

3devious Well-Known Member

I switched from Pandora but stream XM about an hour a day (my usage hasn't gone up with the switch) and I only pull down about 3gb a month...

4. faber78

faber78 Guest

i stream it 8 hours a day.
    unlimited means unlimited. charge me for it and im done with verizon.
    if they all go "tiered" (which means they need to stop using the term unlimited); then ill be done with all of them. i do not have to have this phone. that simple.

Jessie likes this.
  5. 3devious

How much do you pull down while streaming 8 hours a day?

6. JimmyHat

JimmyHat Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

If VZW goes tiered, we will be grandfathered in to our currnet unlimited plans. The screw job can happen when we change/upgrade to the next phone.

7. faber78

faber78 Guest

just got a droid x and went from a old flip with text/data blocked (against my better judgment of setting myself up to get shafted). i can only tell you that my cycle ends 9/7 and so far i have used 1.5g.
    thats 12 days into the 31 day cycle.
    i also tether.
    a guess would then be: aprx. 4-5g a pay cycle.
    i plug it into my truck aprx. 7:30 am. and unplug a little before 4:30 pm.

i can get internet from various wifi locations or home if i want it there.
    a gps isnt that expensive and doesnt have reoccurring monthly fees, they also play mp3's just fine.
    xm radio doesnt cost much either. thats how i did it before and how ill do it again.
    total cost if use gps mp3 player and wifi = nothing.

8. dodald

dodald Member

I wish I knew why what apps were using what data!

I think Google Listen is using most of the bandwidth but I have NO idea.

Is there an App or a screen in the phone that can pinpoint all the apps that are using data? Seems like an important feature if they are going to take away our unlimited data...

9. 3devious

When you install an app from the market, in the list of liberties the app takes with your phone, it lists the fuctions that use data.

10. dodald

dodald Member

That is true, but the important piece of information is how much data a particular app is going to use.

Ex:
    ShopSavvy uses the network, and I'm ok with that, but if I found that it was using 1gb a month when I wasn't using it I would NOT be ok with that.

11. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

My data usage is not as high as this form is talking about, but it is still higher than my BB was. I could care less since I am not paying per meg or gig, but the 5 gb limits of some carriers worries me that Big Red may follow suit.