1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Another new big lag fixTips

1. Jeffruby

Jeffruby Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is mentioned. But previously I had made the graphical changes mentioned here in developer options to help with lag. Also did the svoice button fix. Lag was better, bit typing, especially with SwiftKey was laggy, driving me nuts.

After a lot of experimenting I found the standard, default accuweather clock/weather app (beautiful widget btw) was the culprit.

I removed it and boom. Night and day. I can again type at full speed with SwiftKey as I did on my note 2. Lag is completely gone.

I found this by fiddling with limiting processes (to 4) in development options. I noticed this widget had to constantly restart.... So removed it and returned running process option back to default.

Try it. Like a new phone.

Advertisement
    :
    TheAtheistReverend and Frisco like this.
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Nice find, Jeffruby. I'm sure it's applicable across many devices as well as the S4.
  3. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

Good find, although most people's would probably be default anyway unless they had changed it for a specific reason, so the majority will have the option set this way anyway i would guess.
  4. Jeffruby

I think you misunderstood post.

Just delete the accuweather default clock/weather widget and enjoy your blazing s4
  5. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

FYI, every time you turn your phone off & back on again the limiting background processes always resets back to standard limit.
  6. Jeffruby

That limit thing is irrelevant to the fix. Yhx
  7. james_uk

james_uk Well-Known Member

ah sorry about that, i wasn't using the widget anyway but does it still cause disruption even if its not being used, does it still start in the back ground?
  8. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Well-Known Member

^^ would like to know also.
  9. Jeffruby

Nope. I have restarted phone. Widget gone=flashy phone. (i have Verizon btw)
  10. Turbodc2

Turbodc2 Well-Known Member

Won't let me un install the stock weather widget? I also have the weather Channel and android weather installed, but they obviously are not stock.
  11. Jeffruby

Rephrase. Just remove the widget from your home screen. Don't use it. It's Ok to still be on phone. Just don't use it
  12. TheAtheistReverend

TheAtheistReverend Anybody want a peanut? VIP Member

Is lag as rampant as it sounds on the S4? I am debating getting my first Samsung product here and wonder if you are seeing ANY lag after your fix? I don't think it is acceptable for a phone with the specs this one has to have any lag whatsoever (barring busted apps). TIA.
  13. spin360

spin360 Well-Known Member

There is definitely some lag, which is disappointing at times, but by no means a deal-breaker. I still love my S4, and that's coming from a lag-free iPhone.
    TheAtheistReverend likes this.
  14. WalkaboutDavid

WalkaboutDavid Well-Known Member

I have no real lag. It is no less smooth than my iPad or my Nexus 7. The only hint of lag I ever see is that I will sometimes get a screen redraw. Otherwise, everything is fast.

I do not use Touchwhiz at all, and I disabled all the Samsung features and VZW crapware. Otherwise, I have not made many alterations.

I suspect the problems you guys are having could be cured by Apex or Nova.
    TheAtheistReverend likes this.
  15. stereoeclectic

stereoeclectic Well-Known Member

i've noticed something about this widget on my phone : it doesn't automatically update unless i hit the update icon. i'm not sure if i set it this way, but it is usually a few hours behind.

also, i have no lag at all. i have to wonder if some kind of auto update setting might be the culprit, and i'm not experiencing lag because mine is manual.
  16. spin360

Did you root your phone? If not, what was your method in disabling all Samsung and VZW features?
  17. Canesfan

Canesfan Well-Known Member

Exactly. This is why I'm not crazy about this widget.
  18. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I do not have any on my i9500. I reboot my phone every 24 hours.
  19. zebug

zebug Well-Known Member

Not to speak for another but to disable an app go to settings>more>application manager then click on whatever app you want to vanish and click disable. It'll be gone from your app drawer as well
  20. spin360

I disabled a few but there's a long list of stuff on there I am not so sure about. Does anybody have a list of VZW/Samsung apps they disabled without impacting normal use of their phone?
  21. WalkaboutDavid

Yup.

I disabled every Verizon application, all of the Samsung apps, and all the third party stuff VZW installed. It has not caused any problems.

The phone gives you a warning but I honestly think it is fine to disable whatever you want.
  22. Canesfan

Canesfan Well-Known Member

I noticed that even after I've disabled some apps., specifically some Samsung apps., they come back from the dead as I'll find them updating.

Is the only way to really get rid of an app. by rooting the device?
  23. WalkaboutDavid

I have never had that happen. Which apps are you talking about?
  24. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

I just tried this (don't have any bothersome lag to start with) and see no difference between having the Accuweather widget and not having it on the home screen.

I run Nova Prime and disabled much of the bloatware and ATT apps installed on my i337. But that's it. Not rooted.
  25. Jeffruby

I too saw no lag using stock keyboard. But using more powerful keyboard like SwiftKey, and typing at rate > than 50 wpm. Had terrible typing lag. Gone now.