• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Another New Tattoo Orange user - Gmail issue

itali247

Lurker
Nov 12, 2009
I got the tattoo as an upgrade on my Orange contract and have been having some issues. As I don't have a data tariff, and only intend to use the phone though wifi, I deleted the Orange APN settings in the Mobile networks menu to stop the phone trying to connect via the mobile network.

Like many others, I skipped the initial Google setup as I thought I could do this later. I rang orange customer services and they talked me through setting up gmail as a pop-3 account. I have also configured my yahoo account and find it pretty easy to switch between the 2 mailboxes.
In the setting menu, I have gone to the Data Synchronization > google and ticked Background Data
Auto-synch
Calendar
Contacts

However the option for Google Mail is unticked. If I try to tick it, it changes back to unticked.

I had a problem where changes made on my computer google calendar would update onto the phone but new entries added to the calendar on the phone would not show up on Google on my PC. I then realized that there were 3 active calendars in the settings. I unitcked

Should do a search before posting as there is already a very active thread for this topic. But to answer your question Orange removed Gmail, YouTube and GoogleTalk apps from their version of teh tattoo rom, so you can not sync googlemail with calendar and contacts as it is not set up as a google account, just a standard pop3 account. The YouTube app is available to install on this forum, just search.

Upvote 0
Re not using mobile data services, I believe you just need to untick Settings -> Wireless Controls -> Mobile Network. You can also put a widget on a home screen (HTC Widget -> Settings -> Mobile network) for quick and easy enable/disable.
(Disclaimer: I can't confirm this never causes you to be charged for data!!)

I skipped the initial Google set-up thinking I could do it later (likewise). Orange advised me to do a hard reset and re-enter the details, and that would cause the Gmail app to reappear. But it didn't work for me. Orange hinted that multiple resets might help, but I don't believe them -- a posting on another thread suggests the apps really aren't there in the ROM.

Please pester Orange about this, I'm still getting nowhere with them! (And don't let them tell you it's an HTC issue, HTC say unambiguously that it's Orange who have messed with it). As Wilf says, let's stick to the other thread.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones