Another nub question about rooting

Last Updated:

1. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Lets say i learn what to do, then actually do it. Now im rooted, i have a ROM loaded, right?

Now i see another ROM released that i might like. What is the process to get it installed? I mean do i have to wipe phone?

Can i have multiple ROM's installed, and just switch back and forth? Like a dual-boot?

Advertisement
  2. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Best practice is always wipe your phone between ROM installs.

Nandroid is your friend. Setup a ROM that you like with all your apps, prefs, kernel, etc. Take a nandroid. You now have a place in time snapshot. When you install another ROM, if you don't like it, or just want to go back, you restore the nandroid, and it's like it never happened (minus and data that changed since the nandroid was created, but that's what Titanium Backup is for). You can keep multiple nandroid backups of different ROMS.

3. rsarno

rsarno Thank Me, Im Irish! VIP Member This Topic's Starter

Nandroid takes snapshot of the current state, on the current ROM

So every time i load a new ROM you mean its best to wipe phone, and i would need to setup my settings, and apps all over again? Every time (if its a new ROM ive never used)?

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

quickly going from rom to rom is not really gonna work... the fastest way is to have nand droid back ups but those take a while to restore... and remember always wipe ( i thought everyone always did after a big event lol)

and yes u must set up everything again

5. DizkoDan

DizkoDan Well-Known Member

Yes. It is best practice to wipe out any remnants of the previous ROM/data. That's not to say that you can't do it without a wipe, but there's always crap left behind, and you have no idea how it's going to play with the next ROM. So really, make good backups, learn what data/configs you really need, and it's a simple process.