• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another OTA floating about? (5.9.901)

amageus

Android Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2009
Rootzwiki thread:
5.9.901? - RootzWiki

Original thread:
verizon just sent me an update to 5.9.901

Android Central thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-bionic/142768-update-5-9-901-a.html

Apparently someone receive an OTA not leak update to their phone. It's numbered 5.9.901. He's reporting better 4G reception but this is still early. Can anyone check their updates and confirm if this is a true OTA? Keeping an eye on both thread! I hope for us that are using 5.7.893 or 5.8.894 are able to get this update.

Link to screenshot:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/at...te-5-9-901-uploadfromtaptalk1324333690953.jpg

System Info of 5.9.901 pulled from the original thread:
System Version: 5.9.901.XT875.Verizon.en.US

Still Android 2.3.4

Baseband version CDMA_N_04.05.00R LTEDC_U_07.1E.00

Webtop version: WT-1.3.0-108_DBN-24

Kernel version: 2.6.35.7-g83f1a47

Build Number: 5.5.1_84_DBN-70

So far 3 forums confirmed this OTA update. Screenshots of their update message are posted in 3 different forums. I am wondering if this new OTA could be a combined version of the other leaked updates or something new. I just hope this OTA will allow us that are off the update path to actually get on the correct update path. So far no one has obtained the file from the cache directory before installing their OTA.

Upvote 0
My wife's phone just downloaded this 5.9.901. It had 5.5.893.

She claims she got no notification. She brought it to me when it was on the unpacking screen.

I am running the leaked 5.7.893 and mine says no update is available.

EDIT: My wife's phone was rooted and I had various bloatware quarantined. The OTA still installed. I have to see if it lost root, I am pretty sure it probably did.

Reactions: amageus
Upvote 0
Well I used R3l3AS3D to restore to stock and start the process over. After I did, I installed forever root and then checked the "about" page for updates. Whaaam! I have an update waiting! DLing now, this surprised me because I was originally on 5.7.893.

I'll report what happens. ;-)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going through exactly what I attempted. It won't work.

R3l3AS3D only reverts you back to 5.5.886, but does not revert the kernel or radio back to stock. The update will look at those to verify you have the correct kernel and radio for the update and when it sees you do not, it will fail.

Upvote 0
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you are going through exactly what I attempted. It won't work.

R3l3AS3D only reverts you back to 5.5.886, but does not revert the kernel or radio back to stock. The update will look at those to verify you have the correct kernel and radio for the update and when it sees you do not, it will fail.

You're right. It failed. ;-(

Upvote 0
After extensive reading this PM (and I mean EXTENSIVE - some people have diarrhea of the keyboard), it seems that 5.9.901 is a specific "PATCH" OTA for 5.5.893 ONLY. That is, it modifies certain key files (radio, kernal, etc) but does not replace them. Thus it has extensive safeguards built in to assure that it does run on non-host files.

Bottom line: Unless you are stock or rooted official 5.5.893, it ain't gonna happen. Leads me to believe that there will be other OTA's in the coming weeks. i.e. there are apps in 901 that we will all have to get eventually. So Moto/VZW will have to push to those with leaked OTA's too.

RMD

Upvote 0
Restting to factory conditions is not worth it. I have too many settings and apps setup to do it. I will just wait my turn to get the OTA update

I hear ya! It took me two day to get my phone back to somewhat the same condition, following my first reset. the second time I did it in a few hours. I hope Idon't have to reset my replacement phone--knock on wood.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones