• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another ROM noob FORGIVE ME LOL

NovaFox238

Dec 22, 2009
OKOK Before EVERYTHING, please forgive me if im annoying anyone. But I have a few questions to ask, that I guess, specifically want answers for. Ive looked around, but honestly probably not EVERYWHERE.

Anywho, here are my questions:

1) Whats is the "BEST" guide, or even video to rooting my CDMA
Hero?

2) Is it possible to go 'back' after rooting? (go back as if my phone was never rooted?)

3) I read that the FRESH ROM is the fastest out, what about the "best-looking"?

4) If I was to get the FRESH ROM could I keep the original "stock" icons / Menu bar? (but rid of unnessary stock apps of course.)

OKOK Before EVERYTHING, please forgive me if im annoying anyone. But I have a few questions to ask, that I guess, specifically want answers for. Ive looked around, but honestly probably not EVERYWHERE.

Hero?

2) Is it possible to go 'back' after rooting? (go back as if my phone was never rooted?)

4) If I was to get the FRESH ROM could I keep the original "stock" icons / Menu bar? (but rid of unnessary stock apps of course.)

All your answers can quickly be found at xda forums: Hero CDMA - xda-developers

At least, question number 1 is certainly there.
Number 2 is a yes, with a simple nandroid backup.
3: That's an opinion, as I don't like Fresh's top bar at all lol
4. I believe it has to do with his "pre-kitchen" to change the icons and things, not completely sure on that one.

As for removing the unnecessary apps, you can do that without loading a ROM, just by rooting.

Upvote 0

Hero?

1) This is what I used: How To: Root Your Sprint Hero in One Click! | The Unlockr

2) Yes, just flash the new stock 1.56 ruu that was posted.

3)I am using Fresh, and a lot of people love it. Experiment with which rom you like best

4) Download the UnFresh 1.0 on that fresh rom website, and apply the zip as an update (exactly like a rom) AFTER you flash the rom.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
To either of you. I seem to have problems installing HTC Sync... Using windows 7, got an error, but it still installed. Oh and I tried installing from the phone via USB and the USB connection kept gettin canceled everytime I tried to run it. So i DLed it from htc.com and thats when i tried to install it, but got an error before it installed, but it DID finish installation. My phone doesnt recognize it on my PC... im lost, what could be wrong?

Upvote 0
To either of you. I seem to have problems installing HTC Sync... Using windows 7, got an error, but it still installed. Oh and I tried installing from the phone via USB and the USB connection kept gettin canceled everytime I tried to run it. So i DLed it from htc.com and thats when i tried to install it, but got an error before it installed, but it DID finish installation. My phone doesnt recognize it on my PC... im lost, what could be wrong?

This helped me when I was in your situation:

Workaround for HTC Hero Sync Problem in Windows 7 My Digital Life

Upvote 0
you know, I remember having an issue with using HTC Sync on Windows 7 at one point, but not installing it. It always installed great from my phone, all 4 times I've installed it lol. The time I had problems using it was when I was about to try putting a ROM on my phone for the first time, and HTC Sync couldn't read my phone. If I remember right, I had to reset the phone to factory defaults, re-root it, and then Sync worked. Otherwise, I don't bother using HTC Sync at all (except recently to install a couple of apps).

Upvote 0

The weird thing is, I tried that work around, and either im doing it wrong... or its still not working X_x. It says drivers are up-to-date.

There's a guide on xda for rooting using Ubuntu that I used. It was very simple and easy to follow. Worked great first try and you don't have to fiddle with intalling HTC Sync or anything.

And thats for the Sprint Hero, right? Could you link me? :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones