• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another Service Outage (eastern TX area)

larrytxeast

Nov 3, 2011
Here we go again--yet ANOTHER service outage, this time phone & texting. I am near ZIP 75662. Even more confusing (a) 3G data is working fine and (b) there are active bars on the screen--yet, regarding calls and texts, it won't do ANYTHING. (Yes my account is paid up plenty.)

I can't get them on the phone either to find out what in the world is going on.

Anyone else having any problems? Is it maybe time to switch to T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T? This is ridiculous--get with it, or stop playing the game VM.

Here we go again--yet ANOTHER service outage, this time phone & texting. I am near ZIP 75662. Even more confusing (a) 3G data is working fine and (b) there are active bars on the screen--yet, regarding calls and texts, it won't do ANYTHING. (Yes my account is paid up plenty.)

I can't get them on the phone either to find out what in the world is going on.

Anyone else having any problems? Is it maybe time to switch to T-Mobile, Verizon or AT&T? This is ridiculous--get with it, or stop playing the game VM.

If you are frustrated and this continues to no end then I would ditch them and go to tmobile. That's what I did. Virgin Mobile couldn't get their game right so I just left. T mobile has a plan for 30 dollars 100 minutes unlimited data unthrottled up to 5gb and unlimited text on prepaid.

If you want a good prepaid gsm phone the nexus 4 is the way to go. :D

Upvote 0
If you are frustrated and this continues to no end then I would ditch them and go to tmobile. That's what I did. Virgin Mobile couldn't get their game right so I just left. T mobile has a plan for 30 dollars 100 minutes unlimited data unthrottled up to 5gb and unlimited text on prepaid.

If you want a good prepaid gsm phone the nexus 4 is the way to go. :D

Someone suggested T-Mobile may not work well where I'm at, as I'm in the sticks and they suggested I might get "EDGE" speeds, not even 3G (much less 4G obviously). But it's worth a try maybe?

Is the procedure for getting on much like AT&T--(1) buy a SIM (2) get an account put it on that SIM (3) buy phone and insert SIM into phone and go with it?

Upvote 0
They're probably just working on NV and/or LTE in your area, if its still out for(at the most) 72 hours then call VM the reconnect your phone to their service; make sure to be on a pure stock(ex: Harmonia ROM for the HTC evo v). I doubt it will take 72 hour, causing you to have to reconnect your service, unless they're making a lot big changes to the towers in your area at once. At least when this all over, your 3G data speeds will be 2-3x faster and LTE coverage for when you get a LTE phone.

Upvote 0
Someone suggested T-Mobile may not work well where I'm at, as I'm in the sticks and they suggested I might get "EDGE" speeds, not even 3G (much less 4G obviously). But it's worth a try maybe?

Is the procedure for getting on much like AT&T--(1) buy a SIM (2) get an account put it on that SIM (3) buy phone and insert SIM into phone and go with it?

You have the basic process right for T-Mobile, you can either buy a prepaid phone, which comes with a SIM, or buy an unlocked phone (such as the Nexus 4) and a Prepaid SIM. The coverage doesn't look to bad around 75662, you can see the Prepaid coverage map here.

I've been happy with T-Mobile, especially with much better data speeds, than I was on Virgin Mobile (I switched last July after being a Virgin customer for several years); though I am in the Houston area (major city). I absolutely love the Nexus devices (I have the Galaxy Nexus). After Virgin Mobile's lack of Android updates, it is nice to get the newest version of Android as soon as Google releases it. The other thing I like is having the GSM phone -- if I become unhappy with T-Mobile's plans or service, it is easy to switch (just replace the SIM) to another MVNO (including one using AT&T's network).

As someone mentioned, it is possible that Sprint is doing Network upgrades. You can see the tower upgrades in your areas by visiting their Network Enhancement website.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones