Another use for the DInc...Tips

1. gs13

gs13 Well-Known Member

So yesterday I found out that the Droid Incredible is also a magnet. Seriously.

On the back where the speaker is, you can pick up paper clips and small metal objects like that.

I have no idea what the practical application for this is, but I thought it was cool.

Droid Does Magnets.

Advertisement
    mrlanrat likes this.
  2. Dobieg

Dobieg Well-Known Member

I think someone posted that the Incredible can be used as a metal detector...might have something to do with...?

Rockin' the Incredible...and lovin' it!!!
  3. omgitswes

omgitswes Well-Known Member

don't speakers have magnets?
  4. Ecks

Ecks Well-Known Member

Yes
  5. necosino

necosino Well-Known Member

It was me who posted about the metal detector. Search the market for metal detector :)

And yes, the magnet is used by the speaker and compass, and me to pick up staples...
  6. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

I doubt the compass magnet is strong enough to do anything like this, it's just the side-effect of speakers using magnets to drive them.

The metal detector app uses the internal compass, which is magnetic and very sensitive. The speaker magnet only exists to drive the speaker.

Funny find, though. I have a pair of shorts that use weak magnets in place of buttons on the pockets - I wonder if the speaker magnet is strong enough to open my pocket?
  7. Terabethia

Terabethia Well-Known Member

Hahahahah! Can you imagine what THAT conversation would be like?

"No ma'am, I am not being forward with you! My phone undid my pants, I swear!" :eek:
    voyagerlvr likes this.
  8. ttamnedlog

ttamnedlog Well-Known Member

Hardly a practical use, but somebody noted that the magnet will cause a Macbook Pro to go to sleep when the phone is set to the left of the track pad. Haha.
  9. Reaver

Reaver Well-Known Member

Droid kills Apple.... Gotta love it!:D
  10. Beatlesfan

Beatlesfan Well-Known Member

I actually tried this on my brother's mb pro and it worked! He freaked out thinking I had broken his computer.:D
  11. waynester

waynester Well-Known Member

+1
  12. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

I've tried it with my MacBook and it doesn't work. I'll have to try with my Dad's MacBook pro and see if he freaks out :D
  13. sabrewings

sabrewings Well-Known Member

Solid state hall effect magnetometers like the ones used in modern smart phones do not have magnets in them. The only magnet inside the Incredible would be the speaker driver.