• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another User Dictionary question

Titanium Backup Pro can extract apps or data from a nandroid backup, so I guess you'd want to find the user dictionary in there and restore it.

Now as that's the data for a system app (the HTC keyboard) I cannot guarantee it will be compatible between android versions. You'd probably be OK if you backed up the current one with Titanium, restored from the nandroid using Titanium, then if something was broken restore the current one from the Titanium backup. If you really want to be sure, take another nandroid before doing any of this (you can have more than one).

If you don't have Titanium Pro and don't want to pay, you could do the same in this slightly long-winded way: take a nandroid of your 2.3.3 setup, restore the 2.2.2 nandroid, take a Titanium backup of the user dictionary, restore the 2.3.3 nandroid, then restore the dictionary from the Titanium backup. Then if it works, fine, and if not just restore your 2.3.3 nandroid again.

(There have been a few times when I've flashed a new ROM, realised I'd forgotten to back up something important, so restored the old nandroid in order to make a Titanium backup, then went back to the new ROM and restored the newly backed-up data. It's another reason to always take a nandroid before flashing a new ROM).

Reactions: rb5227
Upvote 0
Thanks Hadron! I'll give the TB route a go.
top.gif

Upvote 0
Sorted.

What I hadn't realised was that there is more than one so-called "User Dictionary".

Titanium Backup would show "com.android.providers.userdictionary". Looking at the files within, I was unable to find my added words that I knew were in my "personal user dictionary". Also restoring from there didn't bring my added words back.

Realising that I needed to go to settings -> Language & Keyboard -> Touch Input -> Personal Dictionary to view the words I'd added, I looked through the files for Touch Input (com.htc.android.htcime) and found my added words there.

So, using Hadron's method above, I've got my "personal user dictionary" restored.

Thanks again Hadron.

Now all I've got to do is find a way to get the blue LED working for SMS alerts! But, that'll be sorted by another ROM probably.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Already using GOSMS which has the facility. Searching around the web and forums suggests that 2.3.3 doesn't have the function available as standard.

I've noticed that the LeeDroid ROM is supposed to have colour LED support. May see how that compares to the Supernova I'm currently running.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones