• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Another web loon bashes Google/Android

OK i mistakenly started another thread about this, but i'll post my thoughts here...

I like BGR. He usually makes good points and he's one of my top 3 sites for mobile news... And I Partially agree with him on this... Not with all of it but just some of it.. I agree that the iPhone OS and appstore are just far more polished than Android and the Nexus one..

I'm a huge texter.. My iPhone was the best for that, by far... And so far with the Nexus one i'm having MAJOR frustrations because of the lack of accuracy of the keyboard... i can't tell you how many times I have put in smiley faces in my texts (up to 4 in a row at times) because the keyboard/screen thinks i am pressing the smiley button. Tell me how am I pressing the smiley button when i'm trying to touch the P? I mean my thumbs aren't THAT fat! The overall accuracy of the keyboard is very disappointing...

Another thing.. the facebook app... on iPhone it was great. Easy to use. Fast. on android? It's frustrating.. It takes me to a web browser everytime i was to do something like view a picture or comment on someones status... And I still haven't gotten notifications to work properly. Am i Missing something?

Don't get me wrong I love my phone.. Theres just some drawbacks which I hope can be fixed by cooked ROMS. But the keyboard... MAN... It's frustrating. I hope THAT can be fixed by a software update. I just wish more time was put into this to make this a more polished device. With time i guess, huh?

Oh and don't get me started on T-Mobile! I'm thinking of waiting the 120 days, selling my device on ebay, and going to big red when this device comes out. Just don't know how much more expensive the plan will be monthly.

I love you Nexus One... But i'm not afraid to say that I miss my iPhone. Could be that i've had it for nearly two years and was used to everything on the phone. I hope I get that same "feeling' with the Nexus. I guess that's what BGR was talking about.

Upvote 0
OK i mistakenly started another thread about this, but i'll post my thoughts here...

I like BGR. He usually makes good points and he's one of my top 3 sites for mobile news... And I Partially agree with him on this... Not with all of it but just some of it.. I agree that the iPhone OS and appstore are just far more polished than Android and the Nexus one..

I'm a huge texter.. My iPhone was the best for that, by far... And so far with the Nexus one i'm having MAJOR frustrations because of the lack of accuracy of the keyboard... i can't tell you how many times I have put in smiley faces in my texts (up to 4 in a row at times) because the keyboard/screen thinks i am pressing the smiley button. Tell me how am I pressing the smiley button when i'm trying to touch the P? I mean my thumbs aren't THAT fat! The overall accuracy of the keyboard is very disappointing...

Another thing.. the facebook app... on iPhone it was great. Easy to use. Fast. on android? It's frustrating.. It takes me to a web browser everytime i was to do something like view a picture or comment on someones status... And I still haven't gotten notifications to work properly. Am i Missing something?

Don't get me wrong I love my phone.. Theres just some drawbacks which I hope can be fixed by cooked ROMS. But the keyboard... MAN... It's frustrating. I hope THAT can be fixed by a software update. I just wish more time was put into this to make this a more polished device. With time i guess, huh?

Oh and don't get me started on T-Mobile! I'm thinking of waiting the 120 days, selling my device on ebay, and going to big red when this device comes out. Just don't know how much more expensive the plan will be monthly.

I love you Nexus One... But i'm not afraid to say that I miss my iPhone. Could be that i've had it for nearly two years and was used to everything on the phone. I hope I get that same "feeling' with the Nexus. I guess that's what BGR was talking about.

I agree. I loved my iphone, and also love my N1, but the inaccuracy of the keyboard is annoying. I can't believe how much nicer the FB app is on the iphone either. I wasn't really dissatisfied with my iphone, but I wanted something that I could do what I want with. Android offers this, but it still has a ways to go. I don't want my N1 to be like my iphone, but I DO want it to do it's operations just as good or better than the iphone.

Upvote 0
I didn't think that BGR's review went over the top on any of its points. Folks in here are just way too sensitive right now to any mention of shortcomings or problems with their new phone.

There are definitely some shortcomings... But there usually is with a new phone. Remember the first iphone? so many things wrong with it when it first came out.

Upvote 0
There are definitely some shortcomings... But there usually is with a new phone. Remember the first iphone? so many things wrong with it when it first came out.

I do, and articles were published pointing out those shortcomings. The articles were for the most part pretty accurate. I guarantee that, in a few months' time (if the problems mentioned in BGR's review aren't corrected) the same people who took offense at his review will be whining about those very same shortcomings. It's the nature of the beast.

Upvote 0
I didn't think that BGR's review went over the top on any of its points. Folks in here are just way too sensitive right now to any mention of shortcomings or problems with their new phone.

It has nothing to do with it.
Having legit gripes are one thing. Ranting on like a moron about emotional connections to a device and spewing out several things that arent accurate makes him look like a biased fool.

Theres ALOT that Android needs to improve upon but this is just another example of the blind bashing going on this week.

Yes, it is.

No. First sentence "add on to my review".

Id love to see him his ass torn in half trying to get that past a real editor in any reputable print publication.

Hes another angry web schlub who makes a habit of trying to pose as a a savvy industry insider. Ive followed him for awhile this isnt the first of his mindless dribblings , but this anger filled rant was just filled with wtf moments. Hes great at getting scoops i.e he knows people. His delivery while making some valid points is comical at best.

I also referenced Engadgets test rigging and a mindless rant by PCWorld bashing N1 based solely on Engadgets review.
Get a clue.

Upvote 0
The guy does actually make a large number of good points in his review an even within his biased follow-up drivel, but jeez... what a tool. Phones with feeling and emotion? Wtf? If I ever hear anybody say that they'd die for their phone... I'm gonna rip it out of their hands and kill them with it. :D
I have more respect for your take on this as a user of a variety of phones. We all get so worked up about phones and which is the best and the new iPhone Killer etc etc but it really is totally subjective!
I'm fascinated by the mobile phone space now as it's so much like the games console space a generation or so ago. It's all about fanboi(y)s and blinkered attitudes toward mobile technology. Now, this is more a slight on the so called casual consumer which is the polar opposite of what the games console situation was all about. I think most people on these forums, or maybe any forums to be fair, are just geeks and huge tech junkies and are not indicative of what the random less savvy public consumer is. I think we are better equipped to see through the marketing spin on a new piece of tech and can see the pros and cons of each device and can weigh that up against what our needs and desires are. I have an iPod Touch 1G and was very much an early adopter of that device without having bought any other Apple product before that. I could see what the product had to offer ME and understood the downfalls compared to my other devices, owned a Sony NW-A3000 which has much much better sound quality than any recent iPod Touch/iPhone product. I have now grown tired of the iPod Touch/iPhone interface and of my Nokia products (devoted for many years) so feel the Android based phones will fill a gap. I would hold my hand up and say, this device is better than this device or some other device but not to the detriment of any one specific piece of technology. No one will ever bring out a perfect device. The whole Jesus Phone moniker placed on the iPhone was totally comical to me as it failed in so many areas compared to other phones at the time. Things like multi-tasking, replaceable battery and competitive standard of camera were plainly overlooked in favour of other revolutionary changes - touchscreen/interface/music application. I'm sure we could all sit down for an hour and put together our ideal dream phone but there are so many factors to juggle with these things that such a device may never be released or would cost so much that the market penetration would cripple the manufacturer.
Anyway, I've rambled too much and basically all I wanted to say was that every device out there is going to be subjected to personal preference assessment which will no doubt throw up some harmonious or repelling views. Try to be happy with your choice and justify why the product you have is right for you.
"I'm rubber, you're like glue - whatever you say, rubs off me sticks to you"

Upvote 0
I have more respect for your take on this as a user of a variety of phones. We all get so worked up about phones and which is the best and the new iPhone Killer etc etc but it really is totally subjective!
I'm fascinated by the mobile phone space now as it's so much like the games console space a generation or so ago. It's all about fanboi(y)s and blinkered attitudes toward mobile technology. Now, this is more a slight on the so called casual consumer which is the polar opposite of what the games console situation was all about. I think most people on these forums, or maybe any forums to be fair, are just geeks and huge tech junkies and are not indicative of what the random less savvy public consumer is. I think we are better equipped to see through the marketing spin on a new piece of tech and can see the pros and cons of each device and can weigh that up against what our needs and desires are. I have an iPod Touch 1G and was very much an early adopter of that device without having bought any other Apple product before that. I could see what the product had to offer ME and understood the downfalls compared to my other devices, owned a Sony NW-A3000 which has much much better sound quality than any recent iPod Touch/iPhone product. I have now grown tired of the iPod Touch/iPhone interface and of my Nokia products (devoted for many years) so feel the Android based phones will fill a gap. I would hold my hand up and say, this device is better than this device or some other device but not to the detriment of any one specific piece of technology. No one will ever bring out a perfect device. The whole Jesus Phone moniker placed on the iPhone was totally comical to me as it failed in so many areas compared to other phones at the time. Things like multi-tasking, replaceable battery and competitive standard of camera were plainly overlooked in favour of other revolutionary changes - touchscreen/interface/music application. I'm sure we could all sit down for an hour and put together our ideal dream phone but there are so many factors to juggle with these things that such a device may never be released or would cost so much that the market penetration would cripple the manufacturer.
Anyway, I've rambled too much and basically all I wanted to say was that every device out there is going to be subjected to personal preference assessment which will no doubt throw up some harmonious or repelling views. Try to be happy with your choice and justify why the product you have is right for you.

I wish you were an early adaptor of paragraphs!
jk!:p

Have to totally agree with the console assessment.
I feel exactly like I did when the xbox 1 was out with Halo/Splintercel as b2b goty and ps2 guys were still moaning about how powerful there system was and how sony will always rule and graphics shmaphics.
Then and now I went with xbox and android as a "well lemme just see if its any good" with intentions to buy the big guy and was floored both times.

In both cases I have little patience with people who bash with such stupid bias. All OS and HW have imperfections.

Upvote 0
People would die for their iPhones, people would die for their BlackBerrys – and they feel like their lives are in there. People feel connected to their BlackBerrys. Some sleep with them next to their pillow. No one gives a crap about their Android phone, there’s zero emotional attachment.

How can someone write anything like this? Did he go around and ask new 4 day owners of the N1 if they sleep with their phone next to their pillow? When he says 'no one gives a crap about their Android phone' who did he talk to?
After reading this line I basically skipped the rest of the article, the author wrote a biased N1 review and reinforced it even more with the crap he wrote in this separate piece of junk.
Having said that, I will now go make a phone call using GV (or any other application that Apple forces out of its market), use background applications on my Android, I will take a photo with an N1 in the dark using the Led Flash before I go to sleep, positioning my Android phone next to my pillow before permanently I delete the Boy Genius Bookmark from my multitouch Dolphin browser.

Upvote 0
I don't even know what to say. Perhaps I think like a machine but I prefer function over fashion. Notice its the people who really can't think for themselves praise the iphone. They like being told what to like. Most of the bgr rant is moot to boot. He just didn't know how to use it. Probably spent 5 minutes with a device and gave up. And I'm not going to mention who, but someone telling someone not to post their opinion that actually is adding to the thread is just wrong. I don't care what school you go to. I love how people are all critics when they have very little knowledge of the subject. Android was designed to be open source, so everyone can chip in and customize what they like. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bgr also loves to blast winmo, when it still outshines every mobile os out there with pure functionality. I seriously miss my winmo but manufactures just aren't putting out modern hardware with winmo. If they loaded winmo 7 on the nexus hardware people would really be amazed. Flawless LOCAL syncing, and it offers cloud syncing. True push email, true copy and paste anything. Amazing live messenger. I can go on and on. I went with android, and I do like it, but it is lacking. It will grow.

I think the next few years are going to amazingly exciting. Its going to boil down to android, webos, and winmo. Unless rim innovates big time, and apple dumps their archaic business model, they will be left in the dust. I've seen the winmo 7 ui and it truley will Amaze people again.

For winmo and webos to succeed, however, they will need companies like htc to really make a good hardware device. The tp2 is nothing short of amazing on the outside, but the chipset blows and it needs to be upgraded. If they took the tp2 design with n1 or better hardware, at the current time, winmo would blow every other os out of the water. Winmo can emulate any ui, iphone and android, and do it well, with more features. Better put... what can't you do on winmo that you can do on other mobile os. I really can't think of one thing.

Sorry for turning this into a winmo superiority thread... but it had to be said. Bgr is 110 percent biased towards the iphone, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was on apples payroll. He blasted winmo before android came out and winmo is clearly superior. Sure it didn't have a button row, but it was called a pocket pc for a reason. After owning several it was truley like have a pc in the palm of your hand.

Now I love my android phone, and it works great. Even with vanilla android. Android does have a long way to go, but it will be an instersting ride.

Posted with my moment.

Upvote 0

I don't even know what to say. Perhaps I think like a machine but I prefer function over fashion. Notice its the people who really can't think for themselves praise the iphone. They like being told what to like. Most of the bgr rant is moot to boot. He just didn't know how to use it. Probably spent 5 minutes with a device and gave up. And I'm not going to mention who, but someone telling someone not to post their opinion that actually is adding to the thread is just wrong. I don't care what school you go to. I love how people are all critics when they have very little knowledge of the subject. Android was designed to be open source, so everyone can chip in and customize what they like. And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Bgr also loves to blast winmo, when it still outshines every mobile os out there with pure functionality. I seriously miss my winmo but manufactures just aren't putting out modern hardware with winmo. If they loaded winmo 7 on the nexus hardware people would really be amazed. Flawless LOCAL syncing, and it offers cloud syncing. True push email, true copy and paste anything. Amazing live messenger. I can go on and on. I went with android, and I do like it, but it is lacking. It will grow.

I think the next few years are going to amazingly exciting. Its going to boil down to android, webos, and winmo. Unless rim innovates big time, and apple dumps their archaic business model, they will be left in the dust. I've seen the winmo 7 ui and it truley will Amaze people again.

For winmo and webos to succeed, however, they will need companies like htc to really make a good hardware device. The tp2 is nothing short of amazing on the outside, but the chipset blows and it needs to be upgraded. If they took the tp2 design with n1 or better hardware, at the current time, winmo would blow every other os out of the water. Winmo can emulate any ui, iphone and android, and do it well, with more features. Better put... what can't you do on winmo that you can do on other mobile os. I really can't think of one thing.

Sorry for turning this into a winmo superiority thread... but it had to be said. Bgr is 110 percent biased towards the iphone, and I wouldn't be surprised if he was on apples payroll. He blasted winmo before android came out and winmo is clearly superior. Sure it didn't have a button row, but it was called a pocket pc for a reason. After owning several it was truley like have a pc in the palm of your hand.

Now I love my android phone, and it works great. Even with vanilla android. Android does have a long way to go, but it will be an instersting ride.

Both of these posts are very well written in that they capture the true essence of this whole argument. The biggest point in this whole mess that people seem to forget is that it all comes down to personal preference. Everyone has different views on what they want and what is important to them, and it's all so subjective that when people start getting nasty and insulting about it, it's just not logical (aka - nobody wants / likes exactly what you do, so relax).

What seems to have been forgotten is how new this damn phone is. It only just was released to the public 5 days ago, of course it has glitches and shit that needs to be fixed. You have to give it some time, just like I'm sure the Iphone and any other phone takes when it's new, ESPECIALLY a phone with a lot more to it (smart phones). I understand that the argument is also with Android, which has had more time to grow than the phone itself, but it's still growing and I'm sure it will improve if they focus on user feedback and keep plugging away.

I like that the second quoted post by IOWA points out the sheep like mentality of Iphone users. I'm not even trying to hate, but I've seen this type of thought process in basically any Iphone owner I've met. I'm sure this isn't the case for all Iphone owners, but seriously the large majority of owners are what have turned me off to the phone more than anything else. I do think it's a very functional piece of work aside from the phone calls aspect (which is AT&T, not Apple, to blame). However, I guess I fall into that other side of people who want to feel like they aren't just jumping on the big band wagon.

I know almost nothing about most of the internals and little glitches etc... that contribute to most of these complaints about various phones that are being compared. I'm mostly probably more of that average consumer that has been referred to earlier, who may not notice many of these issues. I've got a little bit of the "geek" side in me, and it's also a combination of being meticulous about researching something before I buy it. That's mostly why I read and participate in forums like this. I think the truth is that the average consumer will love it, but it also needs to be given a chance. Half the problem is how much hype it received as the next HUGE phone and being called the "Google Phone" etc, which just instantly pitted it against the Iphone in everyones eyes.

It's a new phone, still a pretty new OS, and yes it has issues. Hopefully this will all be worked out or addressed with some time on the market, and just time to grow.

Honestly my biggest concern right now is the huge complaints about difficult user support, customer service, etc... I know it's brand new and so they are getting the big wave of crap right now, but I hope this stuff starts improving as they get settled a bit. I really wish the phone had an in store aspect, because it seems that removing that has made getting help with issues such as returns, defects, or whatever MUCH harder.

I really hope they change this or ease up on it a bit and let the carrier stores get involved a bit more. I'm waiting patiently on Verizon, and I hope once it releases for them, a lot of this has been worked out.

Upvote 0
aaaaaa.jpg

Nothing to see here guys....just another phone.
Nothing newsworthy...just move it along.

Upvote 0
I wish you were an early adaptor of paragraphs!
jk!:p

Have to totally agree with the console assessment.
I feel exactly like I did when the xbox 1 was out with Halo/Splintercel as b2b goty and ps2 guys were still moaning about how powerful there system was and how sony will always rule and graphics shmaphics.
Then and now I went with xbox and android as a "well lemme just see if its any good" with intentions to buy the big guy and was floored both times.

In both cases I have little patience with people who bash with such stupid bias. All OS and HW have imperfections.
LOL. Apologies about the lack of paragraphs! I didn't preview the post before I submitted.

Upvote 0
I don't know if you guys know this, you probably do, but Google Support Forums seems to be the #1 destination where all complains go and also where Android/Nexus haters cite. I urge you people to come to http://www.google.com/support/forum/...a062958c&hl=en and help knock some sense into people.

I hope this is not advertising just trying to help clean up Google's image, afterall all this BS Google is getting is unjustified really, kind of immature on the public's part.

Here are currently posts in defense:

"Over these few days, I noticed many mundane questions and problems being posted up, all pointing fingers at Google. Guys, CHILL, give Google a break! No company is perfect! Remember the early days of the iPhone? No 3G, no copy paste... for about 1 YEAR! It took around a year for Apple to "perfect" their iPhone... Look at Palm, when the Pre debuted, it took them about 6 months to refine webOS to what we see today.

So I say, give Google a break, they're new to this industry, its obvious they can't keep up, but give them some time. I'm confident that Google will improve upon their almost non-existent customer service in the future. It's the Nexus One's big debut, of course they're going to have trouble keeping up with the orders. I know Google promised overnight shipping for the US and 1-3 day shipping notification for international orders, but lets face it, thats a tough promise to keep, especially with the phone's debut, and its likely some people will get unlucky and miss out. But don't fret, it'll come sooner or later.

Just imagine if Google released the Nexus to another few countries, there would probably be so much more chaos! So chill out, the Nexus One will turn into something greater than it already is now, and most problems will be solved by Google and the COMMUNITY, after all thats the power of open source, or why not just try to Google it, chances are people are going to experience the same problems.

This is just my opinion regarding all the problems coming in at the moment, you may choose to disregard it and leave this page a angrier person, or you may choose to respect it and leave as a happy camper. "

"I would also like to point out for those of you who are switching from any other non-android phones (well, if you're an android-user this might apply too) that the switch might take a while. I want you people to understand that the Nexus One is not your previous phone, and in no way should it be expected to work like your previous phone. Its just like when you switch from PC to Mac or the other way around, there are always going to be some nitpicks at first, but after a while, you'll learn to appreciate (hopefully) what each unique system offers.

Whether it works better or for the worst is irrelevant as long as you are a new user. I believe many people form biased views towards the interface before even using it for 2 weeks. If you tell me after around 2 weeks of use, you like X phone's interface/layout (whatever really) better, I'll take your word for it and respect your opinion. As of now, just try to keep it to yourselves in order to reduce clutter in the forums as well as mislead potential customers who might really like the phone.

This applies to all the physical keyboard fanatics, seasoned iPhone users, etc... Hope you all understand. "

Upvote 0
Agree 100%.
No. First sentence "add on to my review".
It's an add on in the sense that it's his personal opinion. Notice how he kept all of that out of the actual review. Further, the title of the editorial is "Google Android Personal Thoughts" and it is "Filed under: Android, Handsets, Opinions." Notice how the actual review is not tagged under Opinions. He kept it separate for a reason and I think it would be smart to recognize this.
For those defending these and engadget goons. There little "be careful what you wish for" comments about Flash are just another in this weeks line of stupid commentary.
Flash is absolute garbage. I don't want my browser being clogged up with weak Flash intros and horrible Flash ads. Apple made the right choice in not including Flash. It is a horrible resource hog. Bring on HTML5 and let's be done with Flash forever. Good riddance.

A lot of people like to take up the "iPhones are for mainstream idiots!" flag but Flash is definitely a mainstream idea. Those in the know are aware of Flash's many, many shortcomings. And what would I use Flash for, anyway? Poorly designed websites with cheap intros? Flash games? Don't waste my time.

At least Android is open source. Hopefully then I will be able to avoid Flash completely.
Notice its the people who really can't think for themselves praise the iphone. They like being told what to like.
Where do you people come up with this nonsense? How is it that people can't really think for themselves when they like the iPhone? What does that even mean? Anyone who likes anything about the iPhone can't think for him/herself? It is ridiculous how someone liking the iPhone, any aspect of it at all, automatically can't think for him/herself. Have you even used an iPhone for an extended period of time? Or are you just having this attitude because everyone loves the iPhone?

I love how people are all critics when they have very little knowledge of the subject.
How very relevant. Do you own an iPhone? According to your signature, no, you do not. So who has little knowledge of the subject at hand? A subject that specifically discusses the iPhone?

Bgr also loves to blast winmo, when it still outshines every mobile os out there with pure functionality. I seriously miss my winmo but manufactures just aren't putting out modern hardware with winmo. If they loaded winmo 7 on the nexus hardware people would really be amazed. Flawless LOCAL syncing, and it offers cloud syncing. True push email, true copy and paste anything. Amazing live messenger. I can go on and on.
That's because winmo is garbage and that is why Microsoft is releasing 7 in very quick succession of 6.5. 6.5 wasn't even meant to be released.

From wiki:
Windows Mobile 6.5 was never part of Microsoft's mobile phone roadmap, and has been described by its chief executive, Steve Ballmer, as an unwanted stopgap until the multi-touch enabled Windows Mobile 7 arrives in 2010.[35] Version 6.5 is a minor upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.1 that was released to manufacturers on May 11, 2009, and the first devices running the operating system are expected to debut later during October '09.

You can extol 7 all you want but it's not released. Until then, calm yourself. I am all for 7 being fantastic. And from what I'm hearing and seeing, it is fantastic. That's great. I hope it does well. If it performs better than my Android phone, I assure you I will pick one up. I am just as excited about winmo 7 as anyone else. I really hope MS, with all its experience in OSes, comes out swinging. They have a lot to bring to the table.

Further, this is not directed to you, but to many on this forum: I don't care about loyalty to Apple, Google, or MS. I don't care in the least. All I care about is my experience, not one side "winning." You all should feel the same. What do you benefit when your OS is garbage but it is selling the most? The market will never improve.

Its going to boil down to android, webos, and winmo. Unless rim innovates big time, and apple dumps their archaic business model, they will be left in the dust.
This is hilarious. Yes, Apple, with its archaic business model, sells the most hardware and sets the standard for mobile OSes. If you knew anything, you'd know Apple has a fantastic business model. Look at how iTunes revolutionized the music industry. And look at how the App Store revolutionized the cell phone industry. Small developers can make substantial money whereas they could not have before. Moreover, with Apple's acquisition of Quattro, shows they know where this market is heading.

I understand you love WinMo. And that's fine. You should buy and love whatever OS suits you. But your failure to recognize the good Apple has done to the mobile market is absurd. The entire mobile phone market was turned on its head with the release of the iPhone. It is absolutely ridiculous some people on this forum refuse to believe this. If it weren't for Apple, we would all not be with our N1s in their current state.

I bought my N1 recognizing its shortcomings. But I know Google is going to improve the OS. I like its direction and I know the phone will do what I want it to do. If any of you want your phones to be improved, no matter how great you may think they are, it is in your best interest to recognize its shortcomings and acknowledge what the other companies do better. Until then, enjoy having your head in the sand.

Upvote 0
While I appreciate your points and actually agree with most of them Esquire, its the attacking tone of the article/your post that most don't care for (whether its about this phone or anything else that belongs to them).

I have this phone and agree with the theme of the article. Outside looking in, the biggest drawback is this phone doesn't really move the market anywhere, it just makes small improvements here and there. Where the iphone really came in and completely altered the smartphone landscape, I think everyone expected Google to do the same. Whether or not that's fair to Google doesn't really matter. Most of everything is based in some form off of what the iphone started. Homescreens, app store, etc. No, I don't need more "human element." But a prettier interface? Yeah, I'll take that. Its like the live wallpapers are supposed to hide the fact that the home screen is built just like the iphone. I understand liking functionality over features, but I don't agree that they are mutually exclusive.

That said, I bought this phone hoping that an Android community could build on the open system. I'm hoping we can get something going like an xbmc engine that can be skinned. I'm hoping that voice recognition software continues to develop. A lot of how this phone/system will succeed revolves around the community and where we take it. If it has shortcomings, lets get them in the open not just to fix them, but improve the overall design.

Upvote 0
News flash: Ask the common consumer who or what the Boy Genius Report is and they couldn't tell you. Yes they have pull but I think their audience is phone enthusiast who know better than to take his word without further research. Now I can say this has some valid points but he is looking at the Nexus One as a threat and was prejudice to it from the beginning. Notice how he says "we" when referring to the iphone? hmm....

Upvote 0
This a OS based forum, people here have a higher than average interest/passion for phones, otherwise we wouldn't be here.

At the end of the day, it's still just a phone. And the truth is somewhere between the blind supporters on both sides.

What apple did in 2007 is very hard to repeat because there was quite a difference between iphone and what others offered at the time.

As for users, it all depends what your individual needs are. Give the iphone users credit as well, anybody that jail broke the iphone was thinking outside the box, those folks are allies, in a way.

Being passionate about phones kills the objectiveness. We are critical of android but as soon as someone is critical of android and we know that person is on the other side of the fence, we tend to deprive them of rights to express their opinions.

Yes, there are biased reviews, comparisons and what not out there, why are folks so sensitive about this? Enjoy your phones if you are happy with them, care less about opinions.

Android platform has ways to go yet but at least it's moving.

If you have an inner douche bag, suppress that SOB. It's about what your phone does for you, not if others are waiting in lines to get it.

I'll be happy with a phone that I find fully functional and attractive, even it other phones beat it out in every single category.

But comparisons to the iphone are inevitable as it set the bar high and media is all about that comparison shit.

The term "iphone killer" is laughable, considering how often it's used, just as are those that start crying as soon as someone claims to go 187 on the iphone.

Social networking sites, tech news sites, PDA's, gaming consoles and pc/mac wars are indicators how messed up today's society is.

In a online special Olympics contest, even the winner is still ******ed.
Chill out and let that BS be.

Upvote 0
I agree with some of the points. Whilst I have never noticed this so called problem with icon boarders on an Android device, you can't deny that the Market is a mess - unless you know what you are looking for (i.e. doing a search) it is utterly dreadful to use.

Most popular apps are largely the same apps that were there when the G1 came out and that says a lot.

I love Android (as an ex iPhone user), it has a great interface, great customisation, excellent sync with everything web and Google and it's great to mess around with when you're just plain bored. It would take a lot for me to stop being loyal (I've had a G1, Hero and N1 is on the way) but I miss the games and great apps on iPhone.

Upvote 0
Flash is absolute garbage. I don't want my browser being clogged up with weak Flash intros and horrible Flash ads. Apple made the right choice in not including Flash. It is a horrible resource hog. Bring on HTML5 and let's be done with Flash forever. Good riddance.

And that's just your opinion. For me, flash is absolutely essential to the workings of many websites, and I will welcome it.

That's because winmo is garbage and that is why Microsoft is releasing 7 in very quick succession of 6.5. 6.5 wasn't even meant to be released.

The original iPhone OS was primitive and featureless by many phone's standards at the time. It's main attractions were a beautiful screen and good web browser. But once that hyped wore off, Apple had to quickly release the 3g and several updates to bring some fundamental features that were present in other phones, e.g copy and paste to name a few. So I fail to see your point of attacking another OS for having updates when the iPhone has had several and is still not totally stable - tons of crashes are still being reported in the Apple forums.

I bought my N1 recognizing its shortcomings. But I know Google is going to improve the OS. I like its direction and I know the phone will do what I want it to do. If any of you want your phones to be improved, no matter how great you may think they are, it is in your best interest to recognize its shortcomings and acknowledge what the other companies do better. Until then, enjoy having your head in the sand.

If Apple is so great, why do have an N1? This is something I see a lot: Apple users supposedly sporting Droids, G1s, Hero's yet they feel the need to defend their precious iPhones at every turn. Makes me wonder if they really do have Androids or are not here to just troll.

Look NO os is without faults, but to criticize one because it's not like the other is laughable. Use what works for you. Android's difference is what makes it special. Yeah I want it to improve, but to not necessarily mimick the iphone.

This is hilarious. Yes, Apple, with its archaic business model, sells the most hardware and sets the standard for mobile OSes. If you knew anything, you'd know Apple has a fantastic business model. Look at how iTunes revolutionized the music industry. And look at how the App Store revolutionized the cell phone industry. Small developers can make substantial money whereas they could not have before. Moreover, with Apple's acquisition of Quattro, shows they know where this market is heading.

You are right, Apple did reinvigorate the smartphone market and their app store is a hit, but iTunes is the biggest POS on the planet, just my opinion. Double twist and some of the alternatives are so much better it's not even funny. Apple wants to tie everyone in for good reason: it's good business, but not everyone is buying into their philosophy and that's part of the reason many technophiles are switching platforms. I'll give them their due, but they're not going to be as relevent any more. As more knowledge trickle down to the regular Joe, there will be more people jumping ship. The pressure is building on all sides and will continue to do so till Android captures a large piece of the market, you watch and see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones