Another Wifi "Obtaining IP" Post...Support

Last Updated:

1. Dang13

Dang13 New Member This Topic's Starter

My first time on this site, great resource for my new Samsung Captivate!

I have done all I can do and read all I could find on this darn problem, but I still can't connect to my Wifi.

I see my network and when I try to connect I get the "obtaining ip address..." and followed by a "unsuccessfull" after a little while.

I have tried the following to fix it, with no luck:
    • reset phone to factory
    • removed all security on the router (ran it open) (Lynksys WRT54GS).
    • unplugged the router and restart
    Not sure where to go from here? I have laptop, Wii... all running fine on the network.

Thank you in advance for any assist you can give!

Advertisement
  2. DT

DT Well-Known Member

First, make sure you're running the same security protocol on your router and phone configuration (and/or make sure the selected one is active on your router).

Next, I'd try setting up a static IP (and DNS/Gateway) on your phone. I know that's not totally convenient for using WiFi outside your house, but it will at least determine if your phone can make _any_ WiFi connection via your existing equipment.

3. Dang13

Dang13 New Member This Topic's Starter

Thank you for the starter.

I am running open (no security) as I attempt to connect, so I think I'm good there.

I fear I am very ignorant on router workings. I looked at the "Basic Setup" tab on my router and am a bit confused at how to proceed. I see the area where I choose the static ip from the dropdown, but am not sure where to get the information to fill in the fields. Also a but confused on the same screen (tab) regarding enable/disable DHCP server as I see references to static DNS1, DNS2...

If I reset the router to default, like I did, and am running it wide open, shouldn't that be all that's required?

Again, thank you.