Another x question

Last Updated:

1. magic1

magic1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok. So im thinking of returning my fascinate for a droid x but I keep reading about issues on the froyo update. Does the x come preloaded with 2.2 now or do you still get the 2.1 and then have the option of upgrading?

Advertisement
  2. JonDroidX

JonDroidX Member

Comes preloaded.

3. magic1

Are people who bought the phone that way having the same problems as those who did the upgrade ota?

4. xliderider

xliderider Well-Known Member

I don't think everyone is having problems with the 2.2 OTA update. I had my X for 2 days before the 2.2 OTA came out. I know my X was pretty much problem free on the 2.2 OTA.

I've since rooted, manually deodexed, and loaded several roms/themes since. Running ApeX with NexTheme now without any problems.

By the way, I got the Fascinate on release day, and traded it in for an X after a week. Not regretting that choice a bit.

5. ekyle

ekyle Well-Known Member

Yep. Some, but not all. There is an update coming from Moto at some point that is supposed to fix many of the problems. Looking for the link now.

This isn't the link I was looking for. I had seen an image of what will be in the update in another forum, but I can't seem to find it again. All of this was mentioned though.
    Motorola acknowledges DROID X issues, says update is coming

6. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Well-Known Member

I got my X a couple weeks after the launch and did not have a problem with 2.1. I went to the leaked 2.2 the day it was leaked and was one of those people that had not problems with that. I went ahead and went back to 2.1 to get the 2.2 OTA and have not had a problem with that either. In the past two weeks I have rooted and been running a new ROM as well and am loving it. The X has had the fewest problems (or things I don't like) of any phone I have ever had.

7. magic1

I had an Eris that I had rooted back some time ago so I'm familiar with a lot of the terms but what exactly is deodexed mean?

8. xliderider

9. subbiepops

subbiepops Member

I just picked up my DX last night, came pre-installed with Froyo and so far (knock on wood), I haven't seen any bugs/problems. But I will preface that with the fact that this is my first "smart" phone, so I don't have "years" of experience.

My son picked up an Incredible last night as well and he seems to be fairly happy with it. Not sure if it came pre-loaded with Froyo or not though . . .

10. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I would think pre-loaded would have zero problems. Getting an OTA with all the changes we've made to the phone via apps and deleting stuff tends to cause the problems(assuming here)

11. Harb67

Harb67 Member

I think it may be hit-or-miss on whether or not your X will have 2.2 preloaded on it. I bought my X 12 days ago and it came with 2.1 on it. Stores with quicker inventory turnover may have 2.2-loaded phones, but stores with slower sales might have a few 2.1-loaded phones still in stock.

12. xliderider

That's why it is better to do a Factory Data Reset before accepting an OTA update, though few do because it is a pain to reload apps and set everything up again. Updating from a clean slate ensures that everything will load up and work correctly prior to loading up all sorts of apps and user data.

13. queenrocks77

queenrocks77 Well-Known Member

I had the same hesitation when 2.2 ota came out. The problems are limited to a few people. DX. Is a great phone and you wont regret it.

14. Lightninrod

Lightninrod Well-Known Member

No problems with 2.1 or 2.2 on my stock X.