Anoying keyboard word matchSupport

Last Updated:

1. quarkleaf

quarkleaf New Member This Topic's Starter

When typing on the keyboard, Android suggests words that match what's typed so far. Usually that's useful. But if I get to the end of the word and none of the suggestions match, it's quite annoying. Android has one matching word listed in red, and when I hit the space bar it auto-matches to the red word. If I'm typing a name or an abbreviation, I have to backspace to undo the match.

Is there a better way to make Android not take the match?

Advertisement
  2. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

When you get to the end of the word that's not in the dictionary it should have the exact word as you typed it in the list first. Tap it. It evens adds a space for you. Like when typing "app" it always wants to put "apparently", but you just have to tap 'app' to get it to put it in. Not really all that tricky...

3. kafkef

kafkef Well-Known Member

Go to Settings > Language & keyboard > Android keyboard and uncheck Auto-complete.

4. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Don't forget that long pressing the word in the top left adds to dictionary to save you from this problem for more commonly used words.

5. quarkleaf

quarkleaf New Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks, oniongirl and MartinS. It's exactly what I was looking for.

6. oniongirl

oniongirl Well-Known Member

.... ... really? I've refrained from adding words to the dictionary purely because I can't be bothered to go to the setting and think of them all on the spot. I keep forgetting you can long press things, so nice tip, thanks Martin! Oh, in fact, just discovered you can hold down the 'home' key and see all open apps. Genius. Excuse me while I roll my eyes at my own stupidity.

7. Ghâshûl

Ghâshûl Well-Known Member

Sounds like it works pretty well, when you know how it works.
    Can't wait to get an android. On my Nokia, when I want to write 'ok' it writes '

8. boosterman

boosterman Member

Um... if I'm not mistaken, I believe holding down the 'home' key brings up the most recently used applications, not currently running apps.

Anyone?