Answer this question please

Last Updated:

1. carmendiva

carmendiva Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Yesterday I went to return a palm pixi i got accused of trying to commit fraud

Here is what happened

I(and my friend the account holder) decided to go with Sprint Monday
    and got the pixi a day or so later...

I hated it and wanted a hero..
    We found out she was eligible for two lines
    so I went to radio shack to get a hero for 53 bucks instead of buying the phone at 149 and waiting for a 50 bucks from sprint

Well we activated the hero on the other line we were eligible for.

Now my intention is to go to sprint at this point(now that i have the hero)
    so we go to the sprint store
    and this is what i say

"Hi, I' Carmen ***** and I am here to return my palm pixi that i just recently activated this past tuesday or wed. Now I want to return this palm pixi however i just brought a sprint hero and they activated it about an hour ago on a second line. I want to cancel that line since i have 30 day guarantee and return the pixi and put my hero on the original first line."

Let me stop here...Are any of you confused at what I am expecting to happen?
    If i was wrong please let me know

So his response...
    "Ma'am...that is fraud"

Me and My friend:
    "Huh?"

Sprint guy:
    "Ma'am, you want to cancel the line of service but keep the sprint hero. That's fraud"

Carmen(me):
    "No, i want to cancel the line hero is on, keep the hero, return the pixi and put the hero on the pixi's line."

Sprint guy
    "Ma'am, I am sorry I can't do that. That is fraud"

So after cussing him out and getting back to my dorm
    I called 1800 sprint...

So tell me why in 5 mins or less they were able to do the exact same thing I was asking him to do?
    And i still have to return this damn pixi....

I just want to know was what i was asking fraud?
    or was he just stupid

Advertisement
  2. scottmbolt

scottmbolt Well-Known Member

Sounds like a whole bunch of FUN!

3. BEARitone

BEARitone Member

It doesn't sound like you wanted to do anything wrong to me but sprint employees can be sort of odd... I asked them if I could get the activation fee waived(the manager of the store was setting me up) and she flat out would not do it. I was thinking "you are the manager and you can't waive activation?" Yet at verizon and att they would always do it. Then I talk to someone on the phone and they waive it without any question at all. So someone in India has more authority than a corporate store manager?

I also asked for a bunch of information and she could not tell me(again thinking "You are the manager for Christ's sake, and you 'don't know'")

So I really don't know, their employees all seem to have different information(I suspect they are making it up as they go along half the time, haha). At least it worked out for you.

4. carmendiva

Ive heard stories about the customer service
    but this was ridiculous...

lol i just went to the store and returned the pixi
    and had to cuss him out because he rolled his eyes
    when i walked in...and wasnt trying to hide it

5. zeux6

zeux6 Well-Known Member

He was probably angry because you thought of a smart solution and he was probably jealous you came up with it...LOL. I did the same exact thing you did and it's perfectly legal to do so. I had no beef from the person I was dealing with to get what you got accomplished.

6. jonathan76888

jonathan76888 Well-Known Member

lolz, i do everything over the phone with sprint, for some reason, they are nicer when they on the phone!!

7. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

They're nicer on the phone because the calls are monitored. In the store, unless you get someone with a good bit of common sense and a nice personality, they can be as big an ass they want-- so long as you don't call over the manager. Even then, if the manager and said employee are in cahoots with each other, you're best off leaving the place with the store number in-hand, and a burning desire to call customer support.

8. riggsAndroid

riggsAndroid Active Member

Technically, you couldn't do it in the way you did. You purchased your Sprint plan and phone from a Sprint store, and made a contract. If you didn't like the phone/plan, you could cancel in 30 days. (30 day guarantee).

You then went and made another contract with Radio Shack/Whoever.

You have 2 contracts. If you cancel the one with the Hero on it, you have to return the Hero to RADIO SHACK. If you return the Pixi, you have to purchase a phone from SPRINT in order to keep your number active.

Sorry for raining on your parade, but it would be far from fraud, as you thought what you were doing was correct.

9. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I haven't had issues like that, the guys at the Sprint store I go to are all pretty nice and helpful. Just goes to show that there are jack asses everywhere (especially ones who think they know about the law because they saw a few episodes of Law and Order), hope you don't have any more experiences like that again.

10. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

Granted, yes, this is a bit of a round-about way of doing things, but in my eyes, it's our own way of price-gouge protection, to some extent. I know, I know, I'm ready for the 'But we only pay the subsidized price, where in other countries people are forced to pay retail...'. The thing is though, with the subsidized pricing and whatnot, there's a lot more loop holes that can be hid in to make you pay the full price. If she got her Hero at the advertised price, I say that's fine. If she got her previous Pixi for free because of the deal, fine. The hairy thing is trying to swap out; you did pay like... $60 for the Hero, and the Pixi was free. I think, honestly, it's fine. You're returning the Pixi, and you've bought another phone on your own from them in exchange. If someone is so hell bent on squeezing that extra $55 or something likewise, I feel it to be a little be ludicrous. Either way, you're keeping their return if they like you and what you have to offer. I say, that's good enough.

11. carmendiva

The only issue i had was
    him telling me i was trying to commit fraud.

The two contract thing I understand
    but at the same time irregardless
    I signed a contract with sprint and radio shack.
    I am not looking to void my contract with either sprint or radio shack.

For instance they gave me a 215 area code for the hero because they werent able to generate a 609 area code since i was nowhere near the 609
    and i signed a contract with radio shack and sprint for a new line of service(the second line i had activated)
    and i wanted the hero on the first line's number instead of the newly activated second line
    and to cancel the second line and return the pixi bringing me back down to one phone altogether like I already had 2 hours before buying the hero.

Who exactly do i call to make a complaint
    about a store. I don't want to deal with store managers
    because that is like complaining to the one i have the problem with