Answers I have not seen in the reviews so far.

Last Updated:

1. darrinaltman

darrinaltman Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am very interested in finding out how is the finish on the phone.

Does it look like a screen protector will be necessary?

Will the sides or back scratch easily? (For example I hate how the chrome bezel on the iPhone scratches no matter what you do to protect it.)

Does it appear that the car dock or multimedia dock will eventually scratch or cause some wear on the phone's finish? (So many times accessories and even cases made by the phone manufacturer actually causes damage to the phone's finish after repeated use.)

I admit I am anal and always try to keep my phone in pristine condition. Once it has a blemish or a scratch, I seem to constantly dwell on that and it distracts from my enjoyment of the device. I probably need a shrink instead of a new phone.

Advertisement
  2. gthrift

gthrift Guest

It seems like the back has the rubberized finish on it which if it is then the rubber finish can rub off after a long time and get scratched.

As for the screen, I plan on getting a protector. Even though it's glass and hard to scratch I do have a pretty noticeable scratch (when the screen is off, can't see it when it's on) in my ipod touch's screen from when I took the screen protector off and dropped it.

3. knickerbocker

knickerbocker Well-Known Member

The back is rubberized and does not feel or look like it will scratch (I have actually held the phone). I am going to get a screen protector for mine because I know I am hard on my phones. My BB is beat up pretty bad.

4. jltung

jltung Member

After reading many posts, it is generally accepted if you leave your Droid

naked,it will show wear and tear over time.

There are many leather vs cloth cases, mostly it comes down to taste.

Do not use one with a magnet because it will synch the clock mode in the

back of the phone. Velcro wears out with time.

I liked the Body Glove. Difficult to install AND remove. Must be installed

correctly or else can interfere with typing keyboard. Rubberized Body Glove

does not allow synching with car or home docking stations, but protects

the phone well. I did not like plastic cases.

I originally got the Verizon privacy screen - too thick did not work.

Got the regular Invisishield from Verizon and am very pleased with it.

Many threads have referred to cheaper after-market screens with varying

degrees of satisfaction. Good luck.

5. CookieMomster

CookieMomster Well-Known Member

YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test
    YouTube - Motorola Droid Scratch Test

I bought mine on the second day out. There were limited reviews at that time and limited accessory selection at the verizon store I was in. I bought a stick on screen protector, not the privacy one, and a hard plastic snap on case. These were not the choices I would have made at that time if more had been available, but I must say a month later that I am happy. I can't explain why cell phones sometime just jump out of our hands. I would never drop mine. But I must say it has held up very well with theses accessories in place. I still want a different case, but more for looks. I am not paranoid about it accidentally falling anymore, though I do try to be careful.

6. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

no
    no
    don't know.

remember that everything in the universe wears out over time. nothing lasts forever. accept change and let go of your notion of permanence. accept imperfection. you will enjoy life more.

besides, it only has to last a year or two, depending on your contract. ;)

7. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

What model/brand body glove did you get?

Edit: nevermind I see body glove is the brand name

8. anuleif

anuleif Well-Known Member

If you're that anal about scuffs on the phone then the answer should be simple! Get a snap on case, and forget about docking. Even with a snap on case, you run the risk of some how scuffing or scratching your phone when you remove the case to dock it.

I'm a little anal about the matter as well. I want the dock, but I don't want a scruff looking phone. (+ resale value) If you don't have another form of GPS, and must dock, then I say try one of those clear "shields". I can't speak for the quality, but it's better than a naked phone. They seem to at least cover the edges. However, from pics, the corners of those shields appear to be lint magnets.

My concern with covering the edges would be obstructing the physical qwerty with a hard case. (as well, i did want a dock) For me, protecting the phone is more important than docking, BUT... lol using the keyboard is more important than preventing scuffs. No point in owning a thing you won't use!

No matter how tough or resistant to damage the droid may be, almost everything you could possibly own will show wear and tear over time. It's just the nature of matter.

I personally opted for the screen protector, figuring it's better to be safe than sorry.