Antenna Boost

Last Updated:

1. MegaScooter

MegaScooter Active Member

I was cleaning the sticky soda out of the back part of my HTC Inspire 4G, when I took the back cover off, I couldn't help but notice that my signal strength dropped to nothing, and instead of getting 3G service, I was getting GSM. I Didn't realize until I put my cover back on my phone, my service when back to full reception and I got once again 3G. Upon investigation, and googling I figured out that the back plate of the bottom of my phone was actually an antenna, and that is what the two prongs on the back of my cover are. So now, what I am asking is if you could put something like aluminium foil, or a paper clip on the back to get better service. Or does it matter? What do you think?

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Well-Known Member

No. If it worked the manufacturer would have put it there. They put lotsa time and money into optimizing antenna performance.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
  3. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Antenna optimisation is pretty complex - look at the issues with the iPhone4 - so it's unlikely something so simple would work.

Wrapping the phone in tin foil would most likely stop all reception as you'd be creating a Faraday cage around it.
  4. jefboyardee

jefboyardee Well-Known Member

You could make a nice hat with that and just tell people you’re getting better service.
  5. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

6. jefboyardee

7. jefboyardee