• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Antenna (includes GPS), reception discussion

Has anyone else had issues with the phone losing network signal every few days?

I have had to do a manual operator search to correct it.

Nope, if anything, my coverage/performance has increased over my 3VO. :D I'm getting signal where I didn't before, and handoffs seem to be smoother. Sorry for your troubles, tho. Keep us posted, please.

Upvote 0
Has anyone else had issues with the phone losing network signal every few days?

I have had to do a manual operator search to correct it.

If you can/want to, please indicate your mobile network carrier/provider.
<- Your location indicates Cardiff, so it must be a U.K. carrier?
Hopefully some users in the U.K., on your network in your area, can weigh in for you. :)

PSA
This device has been released in many territories so it is important for everyone to remember that not every user is on Sprint, ATT, Orange, your network of choice, or have used/even heard of prior comparable devices. I've been seeing these assumptions repeating in multiple threads predating even the launch. Every network, every type of network, and every network location (GSM, CDMA, etc. etc.) is going to vary in connectivity.

Upvote 0
My phone kept losing signal intermittently so phones4u replaced it with a seemingly mint model (no stickers on it though) and...it's so much worse! I am livid. :mad::mad::mad:

The symptoms are intermittent bad 3g/HSDPA (webpage timeouts etc) then loss of 3g/HSDPA connection (the symbol at the top next to the signal bar vanishes) then in settings mobile data says 'disconnected because service is unavailable' (screenshot to follow). Disabling/reenabling mobile data/airplane mode/rebooting doesn't resolve this - it just comes back and as when.

Unlike my previous One which seemed to also lose signal i.e. I couldn't make calls and I got a x on the signal strength, this appears to only be the mobile internet.

Infuriating.
ezetu7yh.jpg

Upvote 0
Going by bars doesn't say much but on this device 3 bars is a decent signal.
Some carriers need to reprovision your account when you get a new device, AT&T here in the states has different types of accounts and when I changed from a Nexus 4 to the One I had issues like yours until they changed the type of plan I had.

Is that the case on your carrier?
I can't hurt to have them verify everything on their end.

Upvote 0
not going to comment about 3g or 4g but the reception of voice and wifi on this device is the best I have seen from a cell phone in a long time. I have a femtocel device in my house and I can go more than 2x further from it than I could with my Nexus device and still maintain a usable signal. So I am pretty happy.

My phone is on Sprint.

Reactions: Hadron and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I would tend to agree that the antennas and RF frontend on this phone are a lot better than my Nexus 4.
You can death grip it but you need to use your palm on both the top and the bottom of the phone and even then I was able to get a call.. and it was reporting a signal of -113 on HSPA....that's pretty much zero.

I think HTC has come a long way... this phone also works in our server room and that's a feat in itself because the room is in the center of a steel building and filled with steel racks.

I need to put the phone in there one of these days for an hour or so to get an idea of how much more battery is consumed at such low signal levels.

Reactions: Hadron and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
So I've been on a honeymoon with my ONE lately, yea I really like this phone to say the very least.

However I've been seeing some pretty crappy reception as a whole with my ONE running on at&t...it's just really not rock solid! In places where I would have 4 or 5 bars of LTE with my iPhone 5 I'm seeing maybe 1 bar with my ONE or worse no LTE at all?

I'm pretty sure at&t couldn't have gone down hill that fast.. lol

So how's the signal on everyone else's ONE?

Upvote 0
So I've been on a honeymoon with my ONE lately, yea I really like this phone to say the very least.

However I've been seeing some pretty crappy reception as a whole with my ONE running on at&t...it's just really not rock solid! In places where I would have 4 or 5 bars of LTE with my iPhone 5 I'm seeing maybe 1 bar with my ONE or worse no LTE at all?

So how's the signal on everyone else's ONE?

Odd.
Can you compare it with one in a store or someone else?
Wondering if you got a dud.

The one thing about this device is that it beats my other phones in the signal levels deparment.

Upvote 0

However I've been seeing some pretty crappy reception as a whole with my ONE running on at&t...

To quote the all knowing FORREST GUMP: ..IT HAPPENS!

Call-up at&t from another phone to begin the troubleshooting process.

Upvote 0
I went to Tmo website to look but how do you just buy it? It is always connected to a plan.

I cant get the international version bc it might not work on Tmo network. There is something about the 1900 mhz band.

Yes, if you buy it at tmo you have to add a plan. But, if you pay in full, you can call and cancel the plan (or just don't activate it). Probably better to just go to HTC's web site and buy it. That's what I did. They are back ordered but they give me a ship date of 5/16 right now.

(OF course, you have to have good credit or they won't approve you for the post paid plan you are "supposedly" adding.)

BOb

Upvote 0
I used to have a Sensation on the same network which was A Ok. My routine hasn't changed for the past 7 years so it's not a location issue.

Apparently there's a Vodafone signal issue in Brighton at the moment which is almost certainly the cause of my woes. Pure coincidence time-wise. None of my colleagues are on voda hence not picking it up earlier. Quite why phones4u weren't aware of this and cost them a fresh replacement is beyond me :faceplant:

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
Yes, if you buy it at tmo you have to add a plan. But, if you pay in full, you can call and cancel the plan (or just don't activate it). Probably better to just go to HTC's web site and buy it. That's what I did. They are back ordered but they give me a ship date of 5/16 right now.

(OF course, you have to have good credit or they won't approve you for the post paid plan you are "supposedly" adding.)

BOb

I have good credit.

I dont mind getting it on HTC website but I read that this unlock phone will not be friendly on Tmo network because not every city have 1900 mhz yet. Are you getting 4G on it?

Upvote 0
I have good credit.

I dont mind getting it on HTC website but I read that this unlock phone will not be friendly on Tmo network because not every city have 1900 mhz yet. Are you getting 4G on it?

My understanding from the FAQ sticky is that the AT&T/T-Mobile and the one direct from HTC Unlocked (not the international or dev version) all have the same exact radio. Here is what the website says:

This HTC One

Upvote 0
The way I read it is get a T-mobile One because it is Penta band (5 band) VS the international which has 4 band.

I have read from users that get a Tmobile brand if you want to use on Tmobile bc the 1900 mhz is not yet implemented in most area.

I have the N4 and i know HSPA is everywhere in Georgia and it work. Can I say the same with a international HTC One?

I would rather get the international version! Of course.

And my million $ question is will the International version works just as fine in Atlanta area? :)

Upvote 0
The way I read it is get a T-mobile One because it is Penta band (5 band) VS the international which has 4 band.

T-Mobile lists the frequencies as:

GSM bands 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
UMTS: Band I(2100)
UMTS: Band II(1900)
UMTS: Band IV(1700/2100/AAWS)
UMTS: Band V(850)
LTE Band: 4, 17

HTC web site unlocked lists:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
HSPA/WCDMA: 850/1900/2100 MHz
LTE: 700/850/AWS/1900 MHz (US)

I'm not sure how to compare these. It looks like UTMS Band IV 1700 is listed on the tmo version and not the unlocked one.

However, I have to stick with what I ordered, since I am getting a $100 trade up credit for my Optimus Elite... unless I hang out some more, cancel my order and hope they have a special again. If it doesn't work in my area, I'll just return it for a refund. I think the web site said you have 30 days.

BOb

Upvote 0
The only to try it is have it on your hand and see what you get in you area.

I found a good reading on those that want to use it on T-mobile network:

T-mobile HTC One work with At&t's LTE network? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Thanks... I found a few crowed sourced maps wrt 1900 support and it looks like it does exist in my area.

I guess this means the FAQ sticky is incorrect since the tmo version includes 1700 GSM freq but the one you buy from HTC doesn't appear to... unless the specs on the HTC site are wrong.

BOb

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones