• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anti theft for Tablets

rebukexia

Lurker
Jul 28, 2012
Hey guys, I am looking for a app that will allow me to track my tablet's location in case it gets lost or stolen. The problem is that it is a tablet, and it seems all of the apps I can find (except "prey" which just flat out didn't work) want to use sms to request the gps location from the phone. Obviously my tablet does not have sms, so I need to find one that uses push notifications. (also it would be nice if it were free or at lease a one time fee, not this monthly subscription BS)

It should work that when my tablet receives a push notification, it doesn't actually display a notification. Instead it starts up a background service that will read my GPS location and return it to be displayed on a map.

Is there an app out there for this? Or am I going to have to make this one myself?

I'm not sure how effective it would be, as most tablets don't have a data connection, so it would have no way of telling you where it was.

The other thought that comes to mind:

Most tablets are used in people's homes, which is less likely to be broken into and stolen than a phone is to be lost.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones