• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Anti-Virus...Do I Need It?

3) DO NOT EVER CONNECT TO OPEN WI-FI HOTSPOTS! Starbucks has some good overpriced coffee, and some BAD internet. It goes in this order of do not connect... Open->WEP->WPA->WPA2. Do not EVER connect to an open wifi hotspot, as I could easily start filtering packets like crazy and just read everything your sending and receiving. It's just a rule, ok? Don't do it...please.

I know this is an old thread but since it's been bumped I'll add my 2 cents.

I agree with everything but this. Say I'm at the winghouse and connect to their open wifi. Am I really going to be in danger if you sniff my packets and read this website?

I agree that I wouldn't do any shopping or banking while on an open wifi but checking sports scores and reading forums is pretty harmless.

Other than that, I came in here looking for the answer that you don't need AV and saw it so I agree completely. :)

Reactions: old.blue
Upvote 0
Do not believe lookout!

I feel my phone is attacked by some virus, because it sent text messages to many unknown numbers and shut down very often. However, Lookout shows my phone is safe! Useless…..

Plus, it is not a free application. it needs to pay for some key and useless functions. I paid for Lookout to wipe my personal data, however, it can not do it at all when I click “Locate ” or “Wipe”. Refund, now!

Upvote 0
Depending on how badly the Andriod OS butchers linux there should be no way at all for a virus to do it's business of breeding and propagating, unless you actually manually run it.

Trojans are another story. Overwrite the gmail package with a trojan that asks you for your Gmail user and password and BINGO classic trojan.

Upvote 0
I agree with everything but this. Say I'm at the winghouse and connect to their open wifi. Am I really going to be in danger if you sniff my packets and read this website?

I agree that I wouldn't do any shopping or banking while on an open wifi but checking sports scores and reading forums is pretty harmless.

Other than that, I came in here looking for the answer that you don't need AV and saw it so I agree completely. :)

I was gonna post this exactly after I read the OP. Feel free to go on wifi hotspots for casual browsing, youtube, pandora, IM, etc. You're a mook if you give up personal information.

I run AVG Free AV, mainly because I like the fact that I can put a message on my home screen (and previous good experience with AVG). I have my name, address, and a "Reward if returned" message. Is there an app that can do that? If so, I'd remove AVG since the AV really isn't needed.

You could write it on a piece of paper and put it in between the case and phone ;) I'm sure there's another app that does it too, I don't know one right off hand(maybe a launcher or locker app)

After seeing what a resource hog AVG is I wouldn't even give them a chance on my phone. They weren't horrible when they started, but after the link scanner and all the other add ons came it got ridiculous, even when you try to disable the extras. Avast runs two processes that take 1/20th the memory the 7 AVG processes running took, oh and it catches more.

Upvote 0
It's still overzealous I feel until Android becomes a major mobile phone OS like Windows mobile. Then people are gonna start making viruses for it just to say, "Heh heh, I'm that douchebag that ruined hundreds of phones. When I get caught and arrested (hopefully, lol), I won't ever be able to get a job I want.".

At 2% of the moile phone market Windows is definstely not a major player, unlike in the PC world.

Android at 25% is the second larget mobile phone OS, Symbian is first at 36% and iPhone third at 17%.

The fastest growing OS is Android so I would say that it is already a major player.

Regards,

Cogs
Life was so much simpler in the '60's

Upvote 0
these anti-virus apps aren't really needed.

FWIW, that's the same thing many VZW reps have told me.

if you download an app that is older then 1 month and has be downloaded hundreds if not thousands of times and has high reviews, it is probably safe.

Ditto.

you don't need AV and saw it so I agree completely. :)

After 2 1/2 weeks, my 1st DX would barely run. Without exaggeration, there would be a response time of 60 to 90 seconds (sometimes more) between when a button push or screen tap would get a reaction out of my phone. Took it back to VZW. They told me (again, it's VZW, so FWIW), the the AVG software was actually a virus and was causing the problems on the phone. We couldn't even get to uninstalling it, as it took WAY to long to even try.

They gave me a new DX, and said an AV program is unnecessary, at least today.

Upvote 0
I was gonna post this exactly after I read the OP. Feel free to go on wifi hotspots for casual browsing, youtube, pandora, IM, etc. You're a mook if you give up personal information.

You could write it on a piece of paper and put it in between the case and phone ;) I'm sure there's another app that does it too, I don't know one right off hand(maybe a launcher or locker app)

After seeing what a resource hog AVG is I wouldn't even give them a chance on my phone. They weren't horrible when they started, but after the link scanner and all the other add ons came it got ridiculous, even when you try to disable the extras. Avast runs two processes that take 1/20th the memory the 7 AVG processes running took, oh and it catches more.
I've been using AVG on my home pc & since they brought out 2011 I've been having nothing but problems with it, so reluctant to install it on phone, glad to see it isn't really needed.

Upvote 0
Well put Keatre. Big thanks for clearing up ALOT of everyday, easy to avoid poo while cruising thru Android. I'm on the retail end, and I've seen people literally get themselves sick calling CareReps, police, Hell even Google over the A/V fears.

And rooting ISN'T for everyone people, if you don't understand the processes or lingo, do the research and STAY IN THE SHALLOW END until you can get yourself both into and most importantly out of the random issues that cooked ROMS will bring.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones