Anti virus protection on S2Support

1. adamantell

adamantell Well-Known Member

Hello everyone

Just got free AV from my bank Barclays.

Kaspersky Mobile Internet security 9

Wondering if anyone using it or anything else? For protection tbh I use kaspersky on my PC and love it on phone seems buggy and slow also very easy too just uninstall seems pointless??

What you think! About AV software on your Android phone.

Advertisement
  2. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

nobody makes virus for android, but i use avg
  3. jaliy

jaliy Well-Known Member

4. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

So you agree that there are indeed viruses for Android.

How many viruses for Android is too many I wonder... 1, 10, 100?

I agree that it is relatively easy to wipe an Android device and reinstall... providing that you are immediately aware that you are infected but what about the damage caused before that realisation?

"A malicious application that can steal cash via phones running Google's Android operating system has been found. The program poses as a media player but once installed starts sending premium rate text messages.
    The service being sent messages is operated by the malicious app's creator, who scoops up the fees."

See here:-

BBC News - Virus writers hit Google Android phones

Having said this, anti-viruses are only proof against known viruses.

One of the best forms of defence is common sense and a little reading, such as alostpacket's post here:-

http://androidforums.com/android-ap...ps-avoid-viruses-guide-those-new-android.html
    heshanj and loony like this.
  5. heshanj

heshanj Well-Known Member

yeah, i definitely wouldnt count on the lack of viruses keeping my phone safe. i tried avg, and now im using lookout. both are good, and are free. not sure about kaspersky though.. i'd use lookout if i were u. very smooth operation
    Sydney99 likes this.
  6. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

+1 lookout - downloaded as per heshanj and works smoothly in background. so far no sign battery drain or performance lag.
  7. biffsmash

biffsmash Well-Known Member

I think there is a massive difference between installing dodgy apps on android and pc viruses. On pc you will get a virus simply from looking at a dodgy web page.

Simple answer on Android is? Answers on a postcard? Watch what ya bloomin install lol

I would say 'virus' problems on android are pretty null and void. Just be careful.

Id much rathet keep a clean stock phone with nothing snooping into everything i do than install some dodgy av program so I can try out hundreds of dodgy apps.

/personal opinion ;-)
  8. Sydney99

have always shared your view and not bothered - the best form of defence is being careful. but seems there is growing potential for viruses and malicious files for android, and if an app exists that offers some protection and doesn't otherwise have a negative effect on phone battery, seems sensible to use it......

i must say I share concerns about what monitoring/snooping these security apps do. anyone any more on this??
  9. Sydney99

The back up module on look out doesn't seen to work. Anyone else found this?
  10. ironass

Hard for me to tell Sydney99 as I'm using the free version, for the same reasons as you and heshanj, and this just backs up Contacts and took awhile to do that the first time but now only backs up any changes to them once a day. It does appear to do a scan for changes when I use it manually.
  11. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

I'm undecided on either AVG or Lookout.
    Both seem very similar, and I cant see any noticeable hit as yet on the performance.
    Not been running either long enough to make a judgement on battery.

Any reasons why you guys chose lookout over the rest, as there seems to be quite a range of free ones to choose from?
  12. heshanj

hmm.. back up, its a paid feature, not sure how good it is.. never used it.. i dont think non-root backup apps are really that great, to be honest :D but yeah, i rarely see any power usage for lookout, and it never runs unnecessarily so if thats the case, why not take a little precaution when there's really no negative effect? ;)
  13. ironass

In my case it was for the "Missing Device" feature that allows you to track it. Not too sure about the "stolen" features but it helps me to find it when I've had a heavy weekend as I have a habit of putting it down and forgetting about it. :p
  14. Sydney99

looks good. perhaps makes my "seek droid" app a bit pointless.

if my titanium root is backing-up automatically, it also lists contacts in it's list of back-ed up apps/data. presumeably this will then restore all my contacts anyway if anything ever happens, so i can just disable the back-up feature on look out??
  15. Hawker

Hawker Well-Known Member

AVG also has a backup feature. Backs up contacts, messages, bookmarks, call logs and system settings.
    i've no idea where it backs them up to tho. It must be within the phone, as i've not set up any sort of account with them.
    it also has an app backup, but trial only for 14 days.
    I installed androidlost a while back, which does the missing device type feature (and a whole lot more)
  16. heshanj

i use lookout purely as AV only. i too use seekdroid, its a better app for tracking, i feel.. and it has quite a few useful features like removing it from ur app drawer, working even without ur sim card, remote turn on GPS (still doesnt work on SGS2 but it'll get there). im talking about the paid version, though..

titanium is a complete backup of all ur apps+data, and it backs up the contacts perfectly. so yeah, if ur using titanium, u can just disable Lookout's backup. i just chose Lookout after reading some very good reviews on it, and it works really well.. not coz of the other features.
    ironass and Sydney99 like this.