Anti Virus

Last Updated:

1. tknucks

tknucks Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone installed an anti virus on the droid yet??? is it necessary???

Advertisement
  2. Nicks88

Nicks88 Well-Known Member

There was a thread about this somewhere. Do a search for it. I believe the outcome was that it is not necessary, and to you use your brain when using internet/downloading.

3. galt

galt Well-Known Member

Consideringthe open nature of Android, I am more worried about apps that cause problems than anything else. I have had apps kill my phone outbound, reset my screen timeouts, and lock my phone completely. I feel like it should have a Windows logo on it. REBOOT.

4. Apeman

Apeman Well-Known Member

Galt, that is also because its a new phone and installing apps made for 1.5 and 1.6 of android dont always work.

To the OP, anti viruses arnt really needed for mobile devices because people don't make viruses for them. Why would a malicous coder make a virus for devices that a small (realitivly) group of people have, when PC's running windows own 85% of the market share. Mac's don't get viruses because virus makers don't bother, not because they are more secure or anything.

There is only 1 anti virus I know for mobile devices, and thats for Pocket PC's running WinMobile 2k3/5 and the only reason is because there was like 2 or 3 viruses because M$ofts's $hitty coding.

5. ggp

ggp Well-Known Member

regarding apps, assuming your source is the official android market, google picks those apart to ensure safety. If you get apps from unknown sources... well, may the force be with you. :cool:

6. Droid_Junky

Droid_Junky Well-Known Member

I believe in being as safe as possible when using a smartphone. A lot of people use credits cards while on their phones. The fact that Android is open source makes it easier to hack. Just last week the first jail broke Iphones were attacked by a worm. The only reason it happened is because the source code is easily accessibe. I have antivirus installed and it scans all downloads that come in. Now whether it is good antivirus and what all of its features are is yet to be seen. That's just my opinion. I'm new to Android. |

7. james1971

james1971 Member

i was kind of curious about this anti-virus myself and being new to Android really wasnt sure if it was necessary. someone in this topic stated as long as you stick the android market you should be pretty safe, which makes sense..

but as far malicious hackers not bothering w/ making worms & viruses for smart phones because this market is so small.. that may be true now, but i think they may start focusing more on these platforms as more & more people are purchasing these devices. and people are doing their banking and have more info stored on their phones like cc#'s, and bank log-in's ect ect, thats what the criminals are after in the first place, this will just be another huge direction they can go to obtain your info and i think theyll do what they can to obtain it, just my opp.